Back up Power

mjwood0

Post by mjwood0 » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 1:57 pm

I'm seriously considering the Tripp Lite APS750. The nice part about this unit is that it's both a battery charger as well as a UPS. I figure if I get enough battery power to keep the stove and power venter running for 10-12 hours, I'll be able to out last 95% of the power outages I get.

GettingStoked
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III

Post by GettingStoked » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 4:21 pm

What does this tell you? What do you think?

Product Description
Tripp Lite's APS750 3-function DC-to-AC inverter with automatic line-to-battery transfer and integrated charging system serves as an extended run UPS, a standalone power source or an automotive inverter. Supplies up to 750 watts of continuous 120V AC power to 2 AC outlets from any 12V battery or automotive DC source. When AC cable is connected to a live wall socket, commercial power passes through to connected equipment and the battery set is recharged via 3 stage, 20 amp charging system. Supplies up to 960 watts of continuous 120V AC bypass power. In UPS mode, the APS system responds to blackouts and brownouts with an uninterrupted transfer to battery-derived AC output. Includes a set of high current DC input terminals for simple installation (user supplies batteries and cabling). Reliable transformer design, with efficient PWM sine wave output and frequency control, powers resistive electronic loads or large inductive motors, compressors and other items with high current needs on startup. Supports an unlimited amount of runtime with any number of user-supplied batteries connected. Highly adaptable to a variety of applications and site conditions with adjustable charger settings for wet/gel battery types and selectable line to battery power transfer voltages.PowerVerter APS Inverters accommodate "peak surge" demands by delivering more output power than their continuous rating. Compare the "Continuous" and "Peak Surge" wattage ratings, and you'll find PowerVerter Plus Inverters supply up to double their output to easily handle equipment start up and motor cycling requirements. A DoubleBoost feature provides up to 200% of the continuous output for up to 10 seconds, providing the extra power needed to cold start heavy-duty tools and equipment. An OverPower feature delivers up to 150% of the continuous output for up to 1 hour.
WNY wrote:Be careful with the cheap inverters, they may not have a modified or full sine wave output. Spend a little extra and get a good one with a modified or FULL SINE wave AC Output.

It COULD damage your motors and/or cause them to buzz or hummm.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 5:33 pm

That's a good unit. Download the manual from the Tripp Lite web site and read the section about recommended external battery types.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 6:07 pm

Nice product. I made my own with an older UPS and 2 marine batteries but I think your solution is a sure bet.

GettingStoked

Post by GettingStoked » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 10:06 pm

Will do..
Yanche wrote:That's a good unit. Download the manual from the Tripp Lite web site and read the section about recommended external battery types.

Mossy Beard

Post by Mossy Beard » Mon. Nov. 03, 2008 6:34 am

I've done several 'tests' with my 750 over the last week. ('not had a lot of time for an extended test)
Basically, I just pulled the plug ( 110) and it transfered instantly. I saw no ill affects at the stove.
I only left it run for 5 min. or so but I do want to give it a longer run, at some point.
Someone mentioned about the "sine wave". I researched this closely, before buying and came to the conclusion that it should be good.
Additionally before you go the gererator route, some of them produce real "dirty" power and are very much capable of wrecking certain controls.
I have a gererator as well. ( had a friend take out his Magnum control just that way last year...)

I'll let you know about the "long run".

Mossy Beard

mjwood0

Post by mjwood0 » Mon. Nov. 03, 2008 6:53 am

That's actually a very good thing to keep in mind. Generators are often very bad at producing clean current. I've seen more than one farmer around her blow milk house pumps on generators that were old or poorly tuned. Not a cheap fix.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Mon. Nov. 03, 2008 6:55 am

I think that 5 minutes isn't enough time to determine whether or not the motors would have problems with the inverters. That said Alaska suggest a modified sine wave for their Fasco motors so....

GettingStoked

Post by GettingStoked » Mon. Nov. 03, 2008 8:26 am

If your running a generator, couldn't you hook your inverter to the generator to clean up the power?
mjwood0 wrote:That's actually a very good thing to keep in mind. Generators are often very bad at producing clean current. I've seen more than one farmer around her blow milk house pumps on generators that were old or poorly tuned. Not a cheap fix.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Nov. 03, 2008 8:28 am

I think the Modified or FULL sine wave output should work fine, I noticed my UPS (Computer) type does make the motors humm a bit, but it works for now and get it thru SHORT periods. haven't modified yet for larger batteries.

If you do modify standard UPS's check the voltages, mine is 24VDC, I would have to SERIES the batteries.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Mon. Nov. 03, 2008 9:49 am

In 16 years my power has been out maybe a total of 3 hours If I don't count the day that the national grid went out. I wouldn't worry about running a modified sine wave for your stove.

Mossy Beard

Post by Mossy Beard » Mon. Nov. 03, 2008 10:53 am

You're lucky on the power outage ( 3 hrs./16yrs)
During the week of 10/20, my power was out three times.... I average about 1 outage a week during winter. ( duration unknown)

I know a "5 min. test" is not totally conclusive... I just wanted to check transfer.

Mossy Beard

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Mon. Nov. 03, 2008 12:09 pm

I bought a used UPS and modified it with two marine batteries. I've tested it too and it works like a charm. Total cost about 270.00. I also 2 inveters too so I can tap off my car and run the stove or other things in the house. I would prefer to own a propane generator but they are pricey.

Mossy Beard

Post by Mossy Beard » Tue. Nov. 04, 2008 6:26 am

Another reason for the UPS .......
I went home yesterday and the power had been off. I don't know if it was 5 min. or 5 hrs. ?
The Mag. was still chugging along :)

Mossy Beard

GettingStoked

Post by GettingStoked » Sat. Sep. 05, 2009 9:46 am

Got my Tripp Lite APS750 the other day. No wiring :mad: So I have to find the wiring which also needs a DC fuse to go to the deep cycle marine battery I have. You would think they would have a kit available... Anyone body other there using this inverter/charger that founda kit or has a parts list for the cableling and fuse? Much appreciated.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”