Remote Thermostat?

McKoker

Post by McKoker » Mon. Oct. 06, 2008 9:49 am

My installer mounted the Honeywell thermostat in our dining room, which is directly above the basement location of the Koker. The radiant heat is causing a 4-6 degree difference between this room and our "living areas". Right now, the furnace is, for the most part, idling. We had a short cold spell, with frost, last week. When it starts to operate in normal winter conditions, will the radiant heat (straight up) decrease, since the convection blower will operate more frequently? I really don't want to snake more therm wire to another room nor do I want to set it on 74-76 to keep the house at 70. (unless, in practical terms, that is like setting it at 70?)

If the radiant issue is likely not to change or possible get worse, is there such a thing as a remote thermostat? I know they make them for pellet stoves. It'd be nice if I could keep the main unit on the wall where the Honeywell is mounted but have it use the temp settings from a remote unit in a another room.

Also, this week, we may hit temps in high 60s with p.m. temps in the mid/upper 40s. The following week, we return to normal Oct weather. Because of my eyesight, or lack thereof, I have to get an assist to light the furnace. No big deal but I just assume let it run for the chilly nights since we have a new granddaughter living with us. Is there drafting issues with warmer temps? note: I have a DV unit.

Thanks!
t. mccann

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Oct. 06, 2008 12:09 pm

With a DV, you have little or no draft issues when the temps rise, I have run my Keystoker when it was 70 degrees outside, just didn't want to shut it down, then we get the 30-40 degree nights.

Check location of your thermostat, is it near an exhaust vent, on an inside wall? I think they make remote sensors for special thermostats, but they are not cheap.
**Broken Link(s) Removed**If just the stadard dial type one, it could be off by a few degrees if not mounted correctly. You can probably put a digital one it if you want. Do you have a Digital Temp. Gauge you can actually check your temps.?

McKoker

Post by McKoker » Mon. Oct. 06, 2008 2:14 pm

Dave

Thanks for the info re: the draft issue and the link for the thermostat. The phone #s on that website were disconnected. I did find one at another website. Venstar Wireless Thermostat & Receiver

http://www.smarthome.com/30403A/Venstar-Wireless- ... ire/p.aspx

The reviews are good but it is expensive. I guess I'm going to have to buy a couple of accurate digital thermometers and see the actual difference between the temp at the thermostat and our main living area and adjust the Honeywell accordingly. Note - The Honeywell (for the koker) is located far from any vent, air return or exhaust and is on an inside wall.

t. mccann

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”