When to Start ?

Mossy Beard

Post by Mossy Beard » Mon. Oct. 06, 2008 7:01 am

Hi all,
I've been tied up for awhile ( family, work, etc.) but I'm back.
Thinking about firing up my Mag. Stoker. ( new to me)
My question is :
When is a good time to start, based on temps. ? ( central Pa.)
I've used a hand fired stove ,prior but I was curious about the
"moderate" cold weather performance of the Mag. ? ( cool nites, warm days)
I don't want to over heat the house...

Thanks, Mossy Beard

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Oct. 06, 2008 7:07 am

That's a very personal choice, but If you can control your fire well enough that you can keep a very cool fire during the day & then ramp it up at night, I find it easier than lighting a wood fire every night to take the chill off. Others may feel it's a waste of coal, while others may feel it's worth just running their central heat for a short time each day. For me, once it consistently gets down into the 40's at night is when I light up.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Oct. 06, 2008 7:51 am

When you get cold....no set time or temp. Some run all year long (domestic hot water), but I fired mine up last week, since it starting to get in teh 30-40's at night.

Since mine has 2 burners (40K and 90K), I only lit the 40K side, just enough to take the chill off the house and doens't use much coal and doesn't overheat...

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Oct. 06, 2008 7:58 am

It's cheaper to open the windows during the day if it gets too warm. :P I had a customer the one year that told me it cost him more in October to heat his house without the coal than it did in November with the coal. Get a coil then you won't feel bad at all opening the windows.

Bud L

Post by Bud L » Mon. Oct. 06, 2008 7:59 am

I live in central PA. also. House was 64* Sat. morning. I lit off my stoker. House has been in the mid 70's. My stoker has been on idle since Sat afternoon. The fire on the grate is only an inch wide. The circulating blower hasn't run since I put it on automatic. My girlfriend is very happy the the house is warm.

We ride motorcycles alot. Sure felt good after a 350 mile ride on Sunday to walk into a warm home. :D

Mossy Beard

Post by Mossy Beard » Mon. Oct. 06, 2008 12:23 pm

Thanks for the comments.
I guess I'll just have to give it a go and see how low it will idle down. 'Have to closely monitor the draft conditions.

Mossy Beard

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”