Powervent Setup

StanT

Post by StanT » Mon. Oct. 06, 2008 6:12 am

Pioneer stove with a powervent set as low as it can go is sucking all the heat out of the stove. Barometric damper is set as light as it can be. Air is hot outside at the powervent, The only way we can get cooler air outside is hold open the barometric damper.
Any Ideas? Do we need a damper in the stove pipe after the baro to slow the exhaust?

Help Please?
Thanks, Stan

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Oct. 06, 2008 6:21 am

How hot? Have you measured it?

Air will be HOT (150-250 Degrees) on the outside, do you have a Manometer to check the draft on the stove?, you need to setup the baro correctly. The venter has to exhaust the gases from the stove, so it's not like like it will be cool or cold.

A manual Damper IS NOT recommended for any stoker type stoves. Especially after the baro like you indicated, it could back up fumes out the baro into your house!!!

As long as everything is setup correctly, you shouldn't have a problem.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Mon. Oct. 06, 2008 6:53 am

As long as instruments were used to set it up properly, and it is set up as the book calls for.... it's fine. The exhaust will be hot to the touch. Remember that thing about coal being 70% efficient? That mean if it makes 100,000 BTU's, 30,000 will be going out the chimney.

Two weeks ago the wife & I went to a county tree hugger fair. One booth had a pellet stove outside, running. It was a small one. You could feel the heat blowing out the front vents. Well.... the direct vebt chimney was hanging in the air as if it were going through a wall. I reached and felt the exhaust. Honestly, it seemed more heat was going out the exhaust then coming from the stove! I showed my wife... she was getting all " I want to tell them something's wrong". They were too busy to talk to, but as I told her, I know it's OK. It's normal. When an oil fired boiler is set up it's common for the exhasut to be 325-350*. Granted, that's 10" from the boiler, but I'll bet it still plenty hot by the time it get's out the chimney.

Jerry & Karen

Post by Jerry & Karen » Mon. Oct. 06, 2008 7:02 pm

Hi StanT,
As long as you have all of your settings as noted, then your OK. What you can try is to lighten up your barometric to a 2 setting, but not any lighter. The Econo is only about 75% EFF. compared to the Pioneer at 81 to 83%. It has a 110 cfm blower compared to a 265 blower. This all translate to less heat being blown off of the stove. If the heat isn't being washed off of the unit, then you know where it's going, out the pipe. Maybe trying to move more air away from the stove would help, like a floor fan. This is just suggestions to help, the Econo is rated for 1100 to 1300sq ft of a well insulated home.
Good Luck,
Jer

StanT

Post by StanT » Mon. Oct. 06, 2008 10:39 pm

Its a pioneer, Don't know where I said econo.

bustedwing
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: LL Pioneer
Other Heating: Hot air oil

Post by bustedwing » Tue. Oct. 07, 2008 2:53 am

Is the adjust knob on the damper in the right position for horizontal or vertical? My pioneer with the powervent on low and the knob on 2 gives me .02 to.03 most days(draft) and the stove throws a lot of heat.RichB

Jerry & Karen

Post by Jerry & Karen » Tue. Oct. 07, 2008 6:21 pm

Hi StanT,
Hope you have it worked out. I seen the Econo on your membership to the right of the thread.
Jerry

StanT

Post by StanT » Tue. Oct. 07, 2008 7:58 pm

I installed a few for my family, the only one giving us problems is the powervent one, manometer .03, Powervent as low as it goes, damper open 1/4 inch and it does not get as warm as my econo in the same size room. We have everything set tonite so we gonna wait and see, changed coal from hers to mine. we will know by tomm as its gonna get in the low thirtys tonite.

Thanks, Stan

bustedwing
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: LL Pioneer
Other Heating: Hot air oil

Post by bustedwing » Wed. Oct. 08, 2008 3:01 am

Bout 3am,43 outside,73 inside,pretty nice fire going in the pioneer,damper is open 1.25 inches from vertical,even on idle it is open more than .25 inches,much more.Sounds like a problem with the damper,is it level?,moves freely etc.Sucking too much heat out of the stove with the draft.? RichB

StanT

Post by StanT » Wed. Oct. 08, 2008 5:47 am

Damper is working good, If we open it anymore the manometer goes to 2,

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”