Replacing Door Glass Gasket on an Alaska Stove

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 6:42 pm

A buddy called me saying he was replacing the door glass gasket material on his Alaska and was having problems. He bought the new gasket material from a local Alaska dealer. The issue is this...no matter how we install the gasket, the door glass is anywhere from 1/8 to 3/8 of an inch from touching the retaining tabs that bolt into the door itself. This allows the glass to be pushed in from the outside of the stove. The distance is less at the top and significantly greater at the bottom of the door frame. The material he removed looks to be approximately the same thickness as the new stuff although it's clearly not the same design. I'm thinking of just putting some small, metal spacers between the retaining tabs and the glass to hold it in. I'm totally confused as to how this was held in there in the first place. I have some pics and I'll pot them in a few.

Any input is most welcome.

thanks

**Broken Image Link(s) Removed**
Last edited by av8r on Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak Stoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Linc » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 6:56 pm

The gasket I used for the glass was channel gasket. When gasket and glass were in place the retainers were pressing slightly on the gasket and holding the glass in place.

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 7:02 pm

I can't find anything for a stove called channel gasket online... the stuff he used had adhesive on the back and was puffy on the ends with a skinnier middle section.

Linc

Post by Linc » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 7:30 pm

That would be channel gasket. The self adhesive back on the gasket should hold the glass in place. You don't want much if any pressure on the glass or it will stand a good chance of breaking.

av8r

Post by av8r » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 8:49 pm

so you adhere the gasket to the glass and not the stove door?

Why do they even put the retaining tabs on? They'll serve no purpose in this application. On my Leisure Line, they are bent at 90 degrees and contact the glass firmly holding it in place.

Linc

Post by Linc » Mon. Oct. 06, 2008 5:13 am

The gasket sticks to the door. Does the glass move freely or does it take some effort to move it? I don't know why there are retainers other than as a safety measure. You may want to ask Matthaus or contact Alaska.

av8r

Post by av8r » Mon. Oct. 06, 2008 7:25 am

I could easily push the glass in and out. Not comfortable with it like this as the sealing can't be very good at all. I know this will maintain a negative pressure, but it wasn't like this last year.

Linc

Post by Linc » Mon. Oct. 06, 2008 8:26 am

I just measured a piece of gasket I had left over, it was 5/8". My stove is older and a different style door with a smaller glass. :?:

av8r

Post by av8r » Mon. Oct. 06, 2008 10:06 am

Went to the Alaska dealer this AM. He said that is how they come from the factory. A brand new one on the floor had the glass setup the same way...it 'wiggles in and out at the bottom at least 1/4" or more. He gave my buddy some Keystoker glass retainers that are 90's and will hold it better. We'll use them.

thanks

Paul k
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alaska model 140

Post by Paul k » Sun. Oct. 10, 2021 3:24 pm

Dam I just put the new gasket in. Figured I messed up took it off and bought a new one. Same issue, wish I knew this before I took it apart again.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”