Fumes & Singing?

McKoker

Post by McKoker » Thu. Oct. 02, 2008 9:57 pm

My wife made me fire up the Koker tonight. This is our first year of operation. Hallelujah for coal mice!! Couldn't have been any simpler.

Anyway, I have a smoke detector in the basement stairwell. It went off a couple of times but shut off with a couple of waves of the hand. Is there an "initial burn off" of sorts that produces some fumes/smoke?

Also, my direct vent fan has a high pitch whine (or as my daughter says......singing) to it. It's somewhat intermittent....maybe...a little. It's pretty noticeable in the room directly above the furnace, which is a hardwood , acoustically live room to begin with. I don't know if this is the motor itself, the airflow, a leak, our over-active imaginations or what.

Toasty in Ohio
T. McCann

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. Oct. 02, 2008 10:34 pm

If this is a brand new stove or one that was sprayed down with a rust preventative coating for the summer, then yes there will be some intial smoke with the first burn.. it should only last an hour or so.

Your DV motor is probably running at full speed, which is correct.. many forum members put a draft meter, called a manometer on the stove body to read the draft or vacuum the Direct Vent is creating.. if it is a high draft, a reostat can be installed and the DV motor slowed down some,, as long as you have a meter to make sure that the stove still has sufficient draft to prevent Carbon Monoxide and fumes from leaking from the stove..

Slowing down the motor usually quiets it down quite a bit.

Greg L

McKoker

Post by McKoker » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 2:06 am

Thanks Greg. Any recommendations re: a manometer?

t mccann

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 8:13 am

http://dwyer-inst.com/Products/Product.cfm?Group_ID=260 Look around and you'll see threads on how people install them.

McKoker

Post by McKoker » Thu. Oct. 16, 2008 8:53 am

Greg (or anyone)

Len (a forum member.....thanks Len!) did a permanent install for the manometer for me. If necessary, I am ready to either use the adjustment rod on the Koker or install a rheostat on the DV motor to set the proper draft. I would love to have a more quiet DV fan but would rather do what is best for safety. As long as I am getting sufficient draft, is the rheostat an equally viable option?

This is the rheostat I am considering although I'm not sure which amp rating to get. My Kill-A-Watt tells me that the DV & combustion motors together only pull 2 amps. Since I'll only be running the DV motor.......? I've been told to get at least a 5 amp. Any thoughts?

http://electricmotorwarehouse.com/kbwc.htm

-best
terry mccann

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”