New to the Game... HELP?

nate

Post by nate » Thu. Oct. 02, 2008 9:06 pm

Just got my first stoker!!! A Leisure Line Hyfire II. I lit it off tonight and have a problem with still lit coal falling off the grate into the ash pan? Is this a feed rate adjustment problem? I have adjusted the rate from 40 back to 25 with no effect it seems. Any help is welcomed as I am a virgin in this territory! :wacko:

gambler

Post by gambler » Thu. Oct. 02, 2008 9:31 pm

If you are using the coal trol system, what is your min feed rate set at, and what is your max feed rate set at?
And do you have the stoker motor plugged into the proper socket? If you have it plugged into the combustion blower socket it will run all of the time.

nate

Post by nate » Thu. Oct. 02, 2008 9:40 pm

I have the min set to 2 and the max set to 25. I believe I have all plugs in the proper places.

gambler

Post by gambler » Thu. Oct. 02, 2008 10:10 pm

Smeone else recently had problems with the convection blower on a new system and it was found to be a bad controller for the coal-trol.

Can you still run these new units manually?

I don't know why your stoker motor would be running all of the time other than what I have already stated.

If you bring up your min setting on the t-stat and set it to 4 or 5 and leave it displayed will you stove start backing down? It will take a little while.

Also just another thought :idea: When you started the stove was the t-stat already calling for heat? I know I have lit my stove when the t-stat had been calling for heat for a while and was feeding at 99% and it will take several hours to back down by itself. That is why you display the min setting. When min is displayed the stove goes to min right away but with a full fire it may take a little while to start to see the effects (30 minutes maybe)

gambler

Post by gambler » Thu. Oct. 02, 2008 11:14 pm

Nate, have you made any progress?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Fri. Oct. 03, 2008 7:53 pm

The stoker shouldn't run all the time, check the min/max settings on the coal trol. I think it should be around min 6 and max 45 or something close to that. Check to make sure you have the right plugs in the right sockets on the coaltrol. Make sure you set your time/date/etc..

It does take a while for the system to stabilized, it may be your setpoint temp. much higher than the room temp. and it just trying to catch up. Put them pretty close together or the set below the room temp. It could take and hour or so for the system to slow back down.

morrisfamily3098

Post by morrisfamily3098 » Tue. Oct. 07, 2008 9:36 am

IF YOU WATCH THE DVD UNDER THE COAL TROL SECTOIN IT WILL TELL YOU WHAT COLOR TO HOOK ALL OF THE MOTORS TO. I AM RUNNING A HYFIRE 2 AND MY MIN IS 4 MAX 40 THIS IS THE FACTORY SETTINGS. ALSO THE TEST FUNCTION OF THE COAL TROL IS VERRY HELPFUL YOU CAN SIT RIGHT NEXT TO THE STOVE AND FEEL THE MOTORS AS THEY TURN ON IN TEST MODE. ONE OTHER THING TO CHECK IS THE FEED 10 SETTING THIS IS THE ONLY MANUAL SETTING THAT THE COAL WILL CONTINUOSLY RUN FOR 10 MIN. HOPE YOU GET IT DIALED IN I LOVE MINE MY HOUSE IS ALWAYS 70*.

nate

Post by nate » Tue. Oct. 21, 2008 3:14 pm

Thanks for all your help guys. It turned out that after lighting the stove the t-stat was calling for heat as I had it set at 72 and the room was still around 68. :oops:

Anyway I think I have it worked out, although I have one more question. Where should I set the Max feed setting? I have been told to watch the stove at 99% feed and have it set so
you have 2 inches of "dead" ash before falling into the ash pan. Can I crank it up more than that to get more heat out of the stove?

Again thanks for all the help guys.

:D

gambler

Post by gambler » Tue. Oct. 21, 2008 3:33 pm

Glad to hear you got it figured out. Set your max to 40, that should be a good starting point. Then when the weather turns cold you can set the coal-trol to display "MAX" and let your stove run at max for about an hour. Then check to see how much ash you have at the end of the grate. If it is more than about an inch you can turn your max setting up and check again in about 1/2 hour. If at any time you are pushing hot coals off of the grate you need to decrease your max setting.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Oct. 21, 2008 7:56 pm

40 is a good starting point, I think that is what is recommended and proabably setup from the factory.
I run MAX on mine about 46-48. It will give off a bit more heat, but don't raise it too much, I would only go about +2 at a time until you get it where you want and then leave it. You can go up to 1" of ash and it will give you a bit more heat, but don't worry if you don't get it exact, as long as you not pushing hot coals off and everything is working, you shouldn't have a problem.

Enjoy the heat! :)

Anything else, just ask.!

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”