What to Do? Harman Mag, AK Kast Console II and Pellet Stove.

heatwithcoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: AK-110

Post by heatwithcoal » Sun. Sep. 28, 2008 10:40 pm

Ok, so I am looking for some advice from the experts. I just got a super deal on a AK Kast Console II top vent. I live in a 1350sqft raised ranch. Right now I have a Harman Mag in my unfinished basement vented to a chimney. On the other end of the house upstairs, I am burning pellets (Breckwell Big-E) direct vented. (No chimney on that side of the house). Looking for thoughts/advice on what to do.
Sell the Big-E pellet and Direct vent AK upstairs or the Harman Mag?
I do not have a DV kit but I think I can get one to fall off the back of a truck for cheap(or free) :lol: . What model no. would be required to fall off the truck? (preferably Tjerlund brand.) ;)

I could sell the AK coal stove but I have fallen in love with the Magnum and I think I want to convert to coal. Only thing is there seems to be more dust produced from coal in the basement than pellets on thew main floor. I suppose coal stoves on the main floor is pretty common. Any thoughts on dust control would be appreciated.

Another thought is Coal is a lot more abundant here than pellets. I already have 3 tons of pellets for the year, but I could sell that with the pellet stove.
I guess the big question is the powerventer,

Just rambling here I know I missed something, I am just really excited about this new(to me) AK stove. :D

Mark
AKKastConsole.jpg

I have the top as collateral until I pick it up on Tuesday.

.JPG | 101.7KB | AKKastConsole.jpg
spring 2007 166.jpg

some kind of funky wiring on the control box

.JPG | 100.4KB | spring 2007 166.jpg
spring 2007 162.jpg

minimal surface rust.

.JPG | 87.2KB | spring 2007 162.jpg

Attachments

spring 2007 171.jpg
.JPG | 108.1KB | spring 2007 171.jpg

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Sep. 28, 2008 10:53 pm

Hello heatwithcoal. There are quite a few threads on the topic of dust control.. look through the 'favorites' forum and the other forums.. there is a lot of info on controling dust.. it basicly just requires a few techniques.

I would think that with some work on moving the heat around, the Harman alone should heat your ranch house.. but moving heat around can be a challenge..

Personally since both coal stoves use the same size coal, I'd simplify and burn just one fuel, And selling a used pellet stove should be easy this year..

Greg L

heatwithcoal

Post by heatwithcoal » Sun. Sep. 28, 2008 11:03 pm

Thanks Greg, do you have any idea on a power-venter type, size etc. I know I can get one from AK but I think I can get a similar crossed-referenced model alot cheaper.
I put the Mag in last year and saved, maybe close to a ton on pellets heating the upstairs and kept the unfinished basement @ 70 deg. Do you think the AK would be overkill upstairs replacing the pellet stove? Or would I just have to run it sip coal all winter?

I have the Mag 6" take-off ducted upstairs to my bedroom so I think I want to keep that downstairs.

Thanks again for the input Greg, I have learned alot from you and other coalologists on this site over the last year.

Mark

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Sep. 28, 2008 11:17 pm

The Alaska stoker can idle down pretty low, so you should be able to control the heat OK, you might consider buying a Coal Trol thermostat.

There are several threads on the SWG powervent, I've never used one so I can't comment much, except to say that you may want to buy the powervent kit from Leisure LIne,, it is quite complete.

Greg

heatwithcoal

Post by heatwithcoal » Sun. Sep. 28, 2008 11:56 pm

So many questions...After looking at Alaska's website, it seems as though I purchased a Kast Console III rather than a II?
The stove I bought has top vent in front of the hopper(see image, the hopper is not attached)and according to the AK website, this is not available on the 2 but rather only on the Console 3. Is this the case? Does this change the venting possibilities? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Attachments

spring 2007 160.jpg
.JPG | 101.7KB | spring 2007 160.jpg

Linc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak Stoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Linc » Mon. Sep. 29, 2008 5:32 am

It looks exactly like my Alaska Stoker Stove II. It also has the hopper mounted with 2 bolts,washers and spacers. I think it is the rear vent model that has a built -in hopper with the stoker unit coming in from the side. I think it was scottd that posted a pic of his. Is there a manufacturers info plate on the back of the stove? It should tell you the model and all clearance specs. I'm not sure of the history of their stoves but,yes, the newer Kast console II is the hearth model with rear vent. An older model maybe the top vent like mine.

Attachments

Aug16#16.JPG
.JPG | 85.3KB | Aug16#16.JPG
Aug16#18.JPG
.JPG | 88.8KB | Aug16#18.JPG
Aug23#20.JPG
.JPG | 96.7KB | Aug23#20.JPG
Aug23#22.JPG
.JPG | 97.2KB | Aug23#22.JPG

heatwithcoal

Post by heatwithcoal » Mon. Sep. 29, 2008 6:19 am

Below is an image of the plate. It does not have anything clearly mark as to the model no.. But I do know it is not a Channing which is also listed on the plate.

Mark

Attachments

spring 2007 170.jpg
.JPG | 126.2KB | spring 2007 170.jpg

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Sep. 29, 2008 7:35 am

Sell the pellet stove. Replace it with the Alaska and powervent it.

Dust can be kept to a minimum by shutting off the fans when emptying the ash, as well as filling the hopper. Lightly dampen the coal with a spray bottle of water before filling the hopper to keep the dust down. Also the stoker tends to drop fines out of the area where the carpet moves in and out (at least mine does). They fall out from the underside of the carpet.

Opening the viewing (top) door with the combustion fan running will disperse dust all over the place.

Also on your stove, make sure there is a "wiper" on the back of the stoker housing where the carpet slides, and that you install gaskets where the hopper mounts on the stoker housing. Removing the squirrel cage and adding an external fan for combustion air is a good idea as well.
ALASKA STOKER.jpg

Stoker showing "wiper"

.JPG | 119.2KB | ALASKA STOKER.jpg

brit22staff
Coal Size/Type: Rice coal
Other Heating: Kast console 111

Post by brit22staff » Tue. Feb. 07, 2023 2:06 pm

Hey bud I live in a 1250sg foot single family home I've got a gnome 40 from Alaska stove co! It take rice coal and costs $300 from September to end of April to keep the house at 70/80° upstairs and downstairs! Just blows 2°above body temp unless you turn her up! I'm now changing it to a kast console 111 5000btu - 85000btu, think that one will be best! Direct vented with blower in the downstairs lounge!
Regards
Jeff

Shaun CoalTrain
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II Hearth Model
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Electric

Post by Shaun CoalTrain » Thu. Apr. 06, 2023 10:27 am

ImageI have the Alaska. We love it. I have the hearth model that vents out the back through our chimney on our existing fireplace. It works great and exclusively heats our entire 2200 square foot home all winter.

Attachments

20230406_102344.jpg
.JPG | 444.7KB | 20230406_102344.jpg

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Apr. 06, 2023 2:05 pm

Nice hearth set up S. :)

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”