Keystoker 90 Missing Timer

rman

Post by rman » Sun. Sep. 28, 2008 7:21 pm

Hi all, looking for a little advice from anyone familiar with the Keystoker 90.

I have purchased a used keystoker 90 model that was built in 1990. I have read many posts on this site and so have gained some understanding on these things and have been diligently cleaning out all of the ash that has accumulated under the stoker blower plate and other areas that would degrade the efficiency of the unit.

While rewiring the controls (the wiring is shot) and cleaning the fans I noticed a discrepancy with what I have compared to the manual that I purchased from keystoker.
The wiring drawing from keystoker shows a timer that will periodically run the stoker to push coal when the thermostat is not calling for heat. My unit has no such timer. My unit however does have a temp sensor on the stovepipe stack that connects in parallel with the thermostat. Is this how the stove is kept running during low demand times? Should I use the stack sensor or would I be better off getting the timer from keystoker.

Your input is appreciated.

ceccil

Post by ceccil » Sun. Sep. 28, 2008 10:25 pm

Hi rman, I know the older model stoves had the stack type sensor. A friend of mine has it on his and it seems to work ok. I have the newer version with the timer unit. I think he has to play with his more often to get it set to feed when the stove is at idle. I think you are ok with it but it may be easier to intall a timer unit. I really don't know much about the style you have, but if you had a timer on it you would just have to get it set up and it will feed at the times you have it set up for. Currently my timer (30 min. timer) is set to feed for 1-1/2 min. every 10 min. It was set up for 1 min. when I bought the stove but added 2 more pins since. No problems since. Maybe some others here will have better advice on your setup. I'm just not that familiar with the setup thats on your stove.

Jeff

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sun. Sep. 28, 2008 11:06 pm

The stack switch works fine to keep the stove lit, the adjustment needs to be set so that the min fire when the Tstat isn't caling for heat is around 1/2' deep on the grate. Also make sure you seal the grate with furnace cement, the joints are kinda loose and will cause the fire to move into the hopper if you aren't careful.

One other suggestion suggestion since you are rewiring, wire the combustion fan to run 24/7. This will keep the fire burning more evenly and reduce unburned coal.

ceccil

Post by ceccil » Mon. Sep. 29, 2008 8:32 am

Matt, was the combustion fan on the older model wired to cycle? I was not aware of this if it is. Like I said, a friend of mine has one and if it is wired that way i'll have him change his also. Thanks

Jeff

rman

Post by rman » Mon. Sep. 29, 2008 9:07 am

"Matt, was the combustion fan on the older model wired to cycle? I was not aware of this if it is. Like I said, a friend of mine has one and if it is wired that way i'll have him change his also. Thanks"

My combustion blower was already wired for constant run.

I was thinking it would be better to upgrade to the timer as my stack sensor looks like it has been abused. If anyone has this timer can you tell me the manufacturer? I would prefer to cut out the middle man and get a better price,

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Mon. Sep. 29, 2008 9:25 am

The older Keystokers were wired to run the cobustion fan with the stoker. As you both said the newer ones were corrected, that is one of the treasons I recommend the chanre. :)

I believe the timer provided by Keystoker is an Intermatic cycle timer model C8865 (Grainger 2E357 $119). Any of the cycle timers that offer single (or double) pole contacts rated at 120VAC will work. Look on ebay you might find one for under $50.

rman

Post by rman » Mon. Sep. 29, 2008 9:39 am

Thanks alot for the replies!! I feel much better knowing more about what I am working with now. I have looked up the controls (Ra89 and L4064) and nothings seems all that difficult.

ceccil

Post by ceccil » Mon. Sep. 29, 2008 12:44 pm

My timer is the c8835. Looks like the 65 is a 1 hr and the 35 is a 30 min. timer. Either will work fine. I would just use whatever is less expensive. Thats the great thing about this forum. You learn something new all the time. :)

LoschStoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console III
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Monarch Paramount Range– Style 24PY-2 Burner
Other Heating: Yukon Polar-Eagle II Multi Furnace

Post by LoschStoker » Mon. Sep. 29, 2008 8:50 pm

You can try
http://mortonproducts.com/page.cfm/1292

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/home
search timer, I don't know if the brands they carry are any good.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”