Difference Bewteen Stoker & Stove

AJtheNewbie

Post by AJtheNewbie » Fri. Sep. 26, 2008 1:20 pm

Ok...I am looking into coal heating options for my home - 1300 sq. ft ranch home - very compact floor plan - looking to locate a heating source (coal stove?) centered in the basement and let it heat the upstairs floor and through vents in floor...

Originally looking for a stove...came across someone advertising a used Alaskan Coal Stoker Stove/Furnace Model 140....is this really a stove or furnace as advertised?is this something that needs ductwork like a furnace...or does it heat like a stove as well? Does it need electric for just the blower or does the feeder require electric as well? Is this stove/furnace useless if the power goes out? I just need a little help clarifiying what this is and if it is an option for me...

Also - they said it was used 2 seasons and are asking $1100 or BO - is that reasonable?

Thanks for any help....

Blackdiamonddoug

Post by Blackdiamonddoug » Fri. Sep. 26, 2008 1:30 pm

that sound like a good deal jump on it and worry about the install when its in your cellar
BDD

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Sep. 26, 2008 1:51 pm

It is a furnace and requires electricity, it will die when the power is out unless you make provision for that scenario. If your home has forced hot air heat, I would buy it and connect it to your ductwork. If your home has hot water radiation, get a boiler (best) or a stove (cheap and easy). A furnace can be used as you describe, it is almost new and priced very reasonable. If you feel like changing up or down in a year or two, you may even make money on it. Happy heating!

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”