Pilot Mode

GAMESNIPER

Post by GAMESNIPER » Thu. Sep. 25, 2008 9:40 am

Does anyone know what pilot mode is on a Harman mag stoker im reading manual to get ready to install stove,It states to make sure fire is in pilot mode to set draft......answers would be appreciated

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Sep. 25, 2008 10:16 am

"Pilot" mode is "IDLE" mode, basically when it NOT calling for heat. Just a small fire burning about 1" or so wide.
It should also be checking with a good fire burning too. Do you have a Baro and/or Manometer (Draft Gauge) to set it up correctly?

GAMESNIPER

Post by GAMESNIPER » Thu. Sep. 25, 2008 10:52 am

I just purchased a bacharat draft guage can you give me instructions on how to set draft should stove be at full burn when setting draft or should it be in pilot mode like manual says is pilot mode when fire is burning without blowers and feed on

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Sep. 25, 2008 11:04 am

If you are setting the barometric damper you will need a pretty good burn going usually depending on your setup. The more draft your chimney produces, the less fire you will need to get a setting. A short chimney may never reach the limit, a very tall one may do it at an idle.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Sep. 25, 2008 11:36 am

Plus, I would think you want it at idle to make sure you have sufficient draft when low burning, so it doens't back up.
Higher burning will always increase the draft.

The Stove should be running, the Combustion Blower should be on and you should only have a small flame (1" or so) and it is only feeding a small amount every so often (5-10 mins). Turn the thermostat down so it is not calling for heat. Let it idle for a while 15-30 mins to make sure everything is warmed up.

It should be checked before the Baro and close to the stove in the exhaust pipe, it can also be checked on some units in the ash door, there is a small screw in the corner that can be removed to check draft.

Dutchman
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Coal Size/Type: rice/anthracite

Post by Dutchman » Sat. Sep. 27, 2008 1:45 pm

"pilot mode" using Harman's controller means there is fire on the grates, and both blowers and the stoker motor are not running. The idea is to get a "base reading" to make sure the flue can pull at the coolest, lowest burn.

That being said, I interpret the instructions (Harman's manual is not the best work of literature) to mean you take one reading in the flue, between the stove and baro damper, at idle, to set the baro damper. Then, with everything running and a good hot fire, you take a second reading at the test port in the front of the stove, to set the combustion blower. (The little screw that you remove, I give it a shot of oil and make sure it's loose before lighting the stove).

The flue should draw better as it heats up, so allow some time (10 mins?) in between readings for the stove, exhaust, and flue to adjust from idle to full burn.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”