Alaska Channing 3 Vs. Harmon DVC-500

glennl
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Canning 3 w/ coal trol
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by glennl » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 8:32 pm

I am looking for a coal stove. I was first looking to purchase the Harman but the dealer told me it was unavailable until june of 2009. He said he had an alaska channing 3 which would be avaiable in dec. 2008. Alaska stove is 800 dollars cheaper. Price is not issue here. I just want to make sure I make the right decision for my family. Some opinions I have read on this great web site about the Alaska channing 3 have me wondering if you get what you pay for. loud motor , uses more coal are some things I read about the alaska however I also read that the Harman dvc-500 is having problems with their distribution blower running loudly when setting is over medium. any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Glenn l

VTSkeeter

Post by VTSkeeter » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 9:16 pm

I just fired up my new Channing III with direct vent and couldn't be happier. I don't know about coal usage until I really have to crank it up but on a 35 degree night it wasn't much. I compared a Harman to the Alaska and believe the Alaska is no noisier than an airconditioner. I would use the $800 to buy part of my coal....

k9 Bara
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1996 EFM 520 DF
Coal Size/Type: Buck / Reading

Post by k9 Bara » Thu. Sep. 25, 2008 1:49 am

I have no other coal stove experience except my DVC-500. That being said, I don't think the distribution fan is loud at all. Of course it has less than 50 hours burn time but is for sure quieter than a window air conditioner. I know, not much help but I think they are both quality and will work fine when taken care of. Im looking for a second stove for my shop, leaning towards leisure line.

GR

glennl
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Canning 3 w/ coal trol
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by glennl » Wed. Oct. 01, 2008 4:16 pm

thanks to the people who took the time to respond. I decided to go with the channing 3 from Alaska. I have already placed an order for 4 tons of rice coal. I used the $800 I saved buying the alaska

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Wed. Oct. 01, 2008 4:21 pm

glennl wrote:I used the $800 I saved buying the alaska
smart man!

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Wed. Oct. 01, 2008 8:30 pm

I have an Alaska stove and am very happy with it. The Harman is a good stove too but not any better and there is more to go wrong ont he Harmon. The Alaska is a little loud but they all are. I have a rheostat on my DV and that has made a huge difference in minimizing the amount of noise. I would invest in a Coaltrol for your stove. It will allow you to keep the house at one temperature. The Channing comes with a manual feed control. You'll have to guess how to set it before you go to bed. I'm pretty good at it but sometimes we make up a little cold and sometimes the house it a bit too warm. I ordered my Coaltrol to eliminate the guess work. After a month or so you'll be a champ. Just don't let the hopper go empty with the Alaska stove.

coal nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93

Post by coal nut » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 9:34 pm

Just don't let the hopper go empty with the Alaska stove.
What happens if the hopper runs out? (aside from going out).

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 9:42 pm

If the DV is pulling real strong and you have an idle fire and the coal gets to low the fire can go into the hopper. I had it happen with me. I ended up with a rheostat and baro and have not been able to recreate that situation. My feed box was fried.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”