Any Pitures Posted on HYFIRE 2 or ALASKA 140

Normy
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Normy » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 11:10 am

Hello All,

I'm hoping that any of you have any pictures posted for the Leisure HYFIRE 2 and ALASKA 140? I'm most interested in seeing them installed with Hot air jackets in your own basement etc (not so much brouchure photo's). Can anyone comment on the location of the blower motors, are they bolted to the hot air jacket?

Thanks in advance!

Normy

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 12:12 pm

With the Hyfire, you would either use your existing furnance blower to pull the air over the hyfire or an inline 12-14" Blower inline to your heat ductwork.

The stock blowers are to be removed or disconnected when using the heat jacket. The actual blowers are mounted on the back/bottom of the unit and blow up the back and across the top. They are not connected in anyway to the heat jacket.

I use the stock blowers with an 8" hole cut in the top of the stove lid and block off the front to re-direct the air upstairs. I do loose heat in the basement from the sides.

Basically like the attached.

Attachments

hyfire_running.jpg
.JPG | 38.8KB | hyfire_running.jpg

Normy

Post by Normy » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 7:08 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply! I have a few more questions: :D

On the heat jacket, can the above part (stove pipe topper) be removed and the jacket be attached to a plenum? I don't have an existing hot air setup, so I would have to have one fabricated special.

Can I tie the exhaust of this coal stove (or any for that matter) into my existing flue. I currently have an oiled fire boiler for forced hot water? Can I use a Y pipe or at least tie into the flue, so I can avoid using a power vent?

To use the jacket, it is recommended to remove the existing blower, is this correct? Can those in-line blowers be controlled to cycle on and off as the heat is needed? I'm assuming there is some type of controller that is used with the stove? Would it be some type of heat probe placed into the plenum or jacket?

Does the HYFIRE 2 come standard with the twin burners and if so can they be run independently, run either one / or as needed?

Also curious about how the coal is pushed into the flame?

Back to the in-line blower, is it a concern that it being above the heat jacket it has to pull the heat not push it as from below? Any thoughts about effectiveness or efficiency?

Thanks
Normy

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 7:47 pm

Yes, the top is removable for use with the heat jacket, it would have a 12 or 14" hole (or whatever size you request).

As for blower, I think either way pulling or pushing the air would work. There can be a plenum heat switch for the blower or controlled by the CoalTrol unit (black box controller). I think the new units come with the CoalTrol. (Jerry from Leisure LIne is on here a lot if you have direct questions)

The Hyfire 1 or II do have 2 burners and can be used one or two. Mine has a 40K and a 90K burners. The stoker plate is a "carpet" that pulls out under the coal and lays the coal down, seems to work quite well.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 8:02 pm

Hi Normy,, since you have a hot water system already, why not look for a coal boiler?? You aleady have the heat distribution system in place, and you get domestic hot water in the bargain.

If you go with the big stoves or furnaces and try to distribute the heat without a good ductwork system,, you will have hot and cold parts in your house.

All the stoves and boilers are back ordered for the year, so unless you found a Hyfire and Alsaka 140 in someone's inventory, you will have to wait till next year for any new stove or boiler.. Why not get the coal boiler and have a good heat distribution system already???

Greg L.

Normy

Post by Normy » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 9:51 pm

Thanks Dave!

Hi Greg,

Never even thought of a coal boiler. Is it an add on to an existing oil furnace or coal stove, or is it a whole other unit?

The Coal Boiler, is it automatic feed like a stoker?

Can I assume that a coal boiler is still more affordable than oil fired to heat with?

Do you have pictures or recommendations to which brand / model? And do they work with existing forced hot water with a super stor tank?

Thanks again
Normy

Oh, also if it is a stand alone unit, can it be tied into the existing flue using a Y-pipe (already connected to the oil furnace)

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 11:37 pm

Hi normy, there are a boatload of threads on coal boilers..lets see, probably the best way to look is by doing a search for:

Axeman anderson
AHS
Keystoker Kaa2 or Ka4 or Ka6
EFM
Van Wert
Gentleman Janitor

**Broken Link(s) Removed**http://www.keystoker.com

If the link doesn't work, google-search the company, you will find the websites.

Yes the coal boilers are both stoker fed and hand fired.

Just look at the titles on this forum that this thread is on, look at the titles.. for the above names..
There is a manufacturers forum for EFM, look on the home page, or Board Index

Get a comfy chair, you will have a lot of reading.

Greg L

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”