First Burn!! DVC-500

kootch88
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by kootch88 » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 10:08 pm

Wow, that is one incredible set-up. Great videos and photos. I told my wife we could do something like that and she walked out of the room. Wait until it is -20 and the house is 72 degrees and for a cost of about a grand for the whole season!! Then maybe she will be more into it.

John

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 10:15 pm

Andrew,
Any comments from the neighbors after the coal truck showed up?

ablumny
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman dvc500

Post by ablumny » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 10:23 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:Any comments from the neighbors after the coal truck showed up?
I am fortunate to have neighbors that are going through the same process with me. Ones doing pellets, two are doing hand fired woad/coal units so everyone is into this.
kootch88 wrote:Wow, that is one incredible set-up. Great videos and photos. I told my wife we could do something like that and she walked out of the room. Wait until it is -20 and the house is 72 degrees and for a cost of about a grand for the whole season!! Then maybe she will be more into it.
Right! when my wife figured out the oil bill was going to be 3x wha it was last year, she was in!
traderfjp wrote:Hi,

I'm a little curious. I have an Alaska stove with a Coaltrol which does an amazing job of keeping the room at a constant temp. How well does the built in thermostat of the DVC-500 work? Can it keep the temp in the room with in 1-2 degrees?
I havent used the room sensor yet. I've been testing using stove temp so far.
LsFarm wrote:Yes, hot water coils are a great way to offset even more of our heating needs.. over the whole year, most households use 30% of their heating budget to heat hot water.. that's for the whole year.. so during the winter, it probably is roughly 15-20% of the heating costs.. depending on the household's number hot hot water users..
Stay warm..
Greg L
I was hoping the Hilkoil unit would fit but havnt measured anything yet...

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 10:28 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:Any comments from the neighbors after the coal truck showed up?

I am fortunate to have neighbors that are going through the same process with me. Ones doing pellets, two are doing hand fired woad/coal units so everyone is into this.
I have neighbors who look at me as though I've just sprouted a third eye in the middle of my forehead when I mention coal. One guy always stops by if he sees me, he burns coal as well. He sees things the same way I do, the correct way, of course!

ablumny
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman dvc500

Post by ablumny » Sun. Oct. 19, 2008 9:39 am

Wood'nCoal wrote:

I have neighbors who look at me as though I've just sprouted a third eye in the middle of my forehead when I mention coal. One guy always stops by if he sees me, he burns coal as well. He sees things the same way I do, the correct way, of course!
Funny. I was the guy looking at my neighbors as though they were crazy to burn coal until I did the research and found this board!

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”