Contacting Alaska Stove Co.

James Goodine

Post by James Goodine » Thu. Sep. 18, 2008 5:39 pm

I have e-mailed the company and never have recieved a reply . I ordered the stove from my dealer first of June and haven't recieved it yet, same old story from them it will be a couple more weeks. I realize that there are many people out there like me finding alternative heat sources and the manufacturers are overwhelmed with the recent growth in there sales market. I started looking at alternatives (to my oil ) late last year first of this year and thanks to all of you on this forum I have decided to go with coal (no fuel like an old fuel). Now I'm starting to think that I made a big mistake especially after passing on quite a few opportunities of buying a pellet stove. We're supposed to get a heavy frost tonight (20 degrees) and I'm starting to regret my earlier decisions. I have to finaly turn up my thermostat and hear the rumble of foriegn wealth going up into the air as burnt off B.T.U's and its making me sick!!!!! Has any one on here had any luck with getting in contact with Alaska stove co. directly? I tried calling but they close at 5:00 eastern and I always get off work too late I'm going to try like hell tomorrow to get in touch with some one. (E-mailed them Sun and no response) Well thanks for taking the time to read my little b!*ch session and any insight on where Alaska stands with there orders will be greatly appreciated. Getting cold in Northeren maine (I thought Heat Rises!!!!!)

ashburnham55
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Crown 112
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by ashburnham55 » Thu. Sep. 18, 2008 6:11 pm

I emailing them about 4 months ago, right before I decided to buy an Alaska and they never replied but I have had good luck contacting them by phone . I have called at least 4 times and have had all my questioned answered and without a the usual automated system that I always seem to get calling everywhere else. I would try them between 8 AM & 4 PM and I would bet you'll get a live person.

Good Luck!!

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Thu. Sep. 18, 2008 6:34 pm

You can also call them saturday till noon at there factory showroom at (570) 387-0260 or (570) 387-0009. They may not be in the next two saturdays due to a stand at the bloomsburg fair. I had heard that stoves ordered in that time frame where Oct.- Nov. delivery but that is just rumor you will need to confirm it with them. All the major manufactures are backed up well into next year at this point ( ie may).

syncmaster
Stoker Coal Boiler: harmanVF3000 Coal/oil option
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by syncmaster » Thu. Sep. 18, 2008 6:49 pm

starting to think that I made a big mistake especially after passing on quite a few opportunities of buying a pellet stove
comparing pellet vs. coal.... coal has 2x the BTU content so you will need twice as much pellets for the same heat.
Pellets cost more than coal so if you do the math you are better off just burning oil.

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Thu. Sep. 18, 2008 6:59 pm

I agree. Most of the manufacturers have never experinced this kind hit before. Not that I'm excusing the behavior of not answering a E-mail (I'd be rippin' mad too) but since you already ordered your stove.....try to hold on, it'll be worth it.

James Goodine

Post by James Goodine » Thu. Sep. 18, 2008 7:25 pm

syncmaster wrote:
starting to think that I made a big mistake especially after passing on quite a few opportunities of buying a pellet stove
comparing pellet vs. coal.... coal has 2x the BTU content so you will need twice as much pellets for the same heat.
Pellets cost more than coal so if you do the math you are better off just burning oil.
You missed one thing in my post, I don't want to burn oil. My wife and I spend enough of our hard earned just driving to work on the foriegn stuff (averaging 30 mpg between two vehicles). Going coal is the farthest that I can possibly get away from foriegn oil for home heating. I first considered pellets but working in the forest products industry I realized that pellets were not the answer I was looking for. First the trees must be cut (foriegn oil). Then they must be shipped to the mill ( foriegn oil) then the process of getting them to the state they are in when we buy them are probably handled at least twice by some foriegn oil sucking form of transport or machine. Coal is mined processed and sent to a dealer thats it. I may be narrow minded but my reasons for going coal isn't just for the BTU per ton or the price per ton. I'm not a tree hugging activist by no means I have been fed and clothed since I was 9 years old (26 years) by Maines working forests. I have had alot of conservations with guys about coal vs woood pellets and I'm willing to handle the ash if I feel that I'm making my little difference in the whole foriegn oil addaiction that this country has come to know as the norm.

gambler

Post by gambler » Thu. Sep. 18, 2008 9:02 pm

James Goodine wrote:Coal is mined processed and sent to a dealer thats it.
All with foreign oil.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Sep. 19, 2008 2:42 am

James, All I can tell you is be patient and sit tight. There's no mass reports of people getting the shaft yet like there was with Harman.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Sep. 19, 2008 6:53 am

gambler wrote:
James Goodine wrote:Coal is mined processed and sent to a dealer thats it.
All with foreign oil.
True, but with a lot less then pellets or firewood.

arcticcatmatt

Post by arcticcatmatt » Fri. Sep. 19, 2008 2:05 pm

My local dealer has a few alaskas sitting on the floor just waiting to be purchased.

Lots of people don't want to deal with the "hassle" of coal. Its not big around here.

crochunisclan

Post by crochunisclan » Sun. Sep. 21, 2008 3:02 pm

I also had a good experience getting in touch with them by phone.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”