Freedom Outdoor Furnace ?

Squeaks

Post by Squeaks » Tue. Sep. 16, 2008 7:53 pm

Does anyone one on here have one... if so what do you think of it?
What do you burn?
Anything tips that would be helpful to me?
I was planning on burning coal out of mine.
Any and all info is appreciated.
Thanks!!!
Sean

FranB

Post by FranB » Mon. Apr. 08, 2013 1:32 pm

My husband and I are currently researching switching to a coal/wood combination. We burn 50-60 cord of wood a year and it's alot of work, as you must know. I am trying to contact the stove maker to ask about if there is a way to auger or feed the coal that would work for us. We have talked about different ways of storing the coal, as well as a simple way to feed it into 5 gallon pails. Someone told me that farmers are using old feed wagons, with an unloader to store the coal. Another possiblility would be building a hopper of some kind, with aluminum side walls next to our garage. ( We already have a metal roof and cement slab that the boiler and wood splitter sit on) I was told that coal is harder to start, but using the same fire starters that are used for wood works well. Also, it says in the flyer to use "hard" coal. Also, I found out that we can still use the same grid in the stove as we use for wood and that you can mix wood and coal, which we will probably do to save some money and find a balance with all the labor that we do making wood. Right now I am waiting for a call back from the sales rep who sold us the stove so I can make connection with the company. We installed ours in 2007. We also are trying to contact someone we heard hauls coal and get a price. Stay tuned. Let us know if you have anything to add. Maybe we can help each other figure this out. FranB

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Mon. Apr. 08, 2013 2:01 pm

Welcome Fran,tell us what your heating with the 50/60 cord of wood,a house,parlar,the neighborhood,ect.and is the current boiler keeping up with the heat load.How far is the boiler from the source your heating and are the lines insulated.Pictures always help in determining your current situation and help everyone have a good assement.As for the dealer helping you with the boiler,well maybe? If he's gonna help you, have him come over and help split wood to give him a real sense of how their boiler works.There are many options you can choose.Are you looking to get rid of your current boiler or just want to burn coal in it,most outdoor wood boilers are very ineffient and burning coal in them doesn't work either.Many others will help with the more techinal aspects of your quest to burn coal and save on the labor.Also where are you located,you may have a member close by for assistance and help locating coal.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Apr. 08, 2013 3:24 pm

We burn 50-60 cord of wood a year and it's alot of work, as you must know.
Yikes, that's a lot of wood! Let us know where you are, we may be able to help you better.

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Tue. Apr. 09, 2013 8:19 am

Dont want to ruffle any feathers but if Im being honest , there is no such thing as "freedom" when your talking outside wood boilers :bag: Thay're almost as bad as horses :P IMHO

Waldo

sandman6921

Post by sandman6921 » Fri. Apr. 12, 2013 12:22 pm

There is no boiler furnace amde that I am aware of that will burn wood and coal to your satisfaction. Coal wants under fire air, wood top air.
Outside furnace/boilers are a ton of work..
As I tell people, I owned a logging company for 7 years. (wood cost me exactly 0) -- I burned coal - anything else you need to know!

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Apr. 12, 2013 6:17 pm

sandman6921 wrote:There is no boiler furnace amde that I am aware of that will burn wood and coal to your satisfaction. Coal wants under fire air, wood top air.
Outside furnace/boilers are a ton of work..
As I tell people, I owned a logging company for 7 years. (wood cost me exactly 0) -- I burned coal - anything else you need to know!
I have to agree with this.

Too often a company takes a poorly performing wood boiler and by adding a shaker grate comes up with a coal burner that is just as bad.

Kev
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Holland #22 Special All-Cast

Post by Kev » Fri. Apr. 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Not a fan of the outdoor wood burners myself, filthy from what I've seen. I have one just down the road from me and the smoke is noxious. Honestly can understand why they're being banned.

Hey Franco, I see you live in Kent. I lived in Kent for quite a while back in the 90's early 00's. I worked over at Bob Bear's place, The Company Store antique shop, doing restoration work.

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Fri. Apr. 26, 2013 10:25 pm

Kev wrote:Hey Franco, I see you live in Kent. I lived in Kent for quite a while back in the 90's early 00's. I worked over at Bob Bear's place, The Company Store antique shop, doing restoration work.
Not familiar with that store. The antique business never has enough good restorers.

Kev

Post by Kev » Sat. Apr. 27, 2013 12:16 pm

franco b wrote:Not familiar with that store. The antique business never has enough good restorers.
I'm surprised you aren't. If you have ever headed up towards Cornwall you would have passed it. The address is 30 Kent Cornwall Rd. It was right across the road from the Sloane-Stanley museum on Route 7, where the CT Antique Machinery Assn. is. As far as I know Bob closed the shop though, but I assume he still lives there. It was good experience for what I do now, historic restoration.

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Sat. Apr. 27, 2013 2:47 pm

Kev wrote:
franco b wrote:Not familiar with that store. The antique business never has enough good restorers.
I'm surprised you aren't. If you have ever headed up towards Cornwall you would have passed it. The address is 30 Kent Cornwall Rd. It was right across the road from the Sloane-Stanley museum on Route 7, where the CT Antique Machinery Assn. is. As far as I know Bob closed the shop though, but I assume he still lives there. It was good experience for what I do now, historic restoration.
That was the building Pegeen Fitzgerald owned for animal rescue, one of several.

Kev

Post by Kev » Sat. Apr. 27, 2013 5:01 pm

That's the one, yes. Bob bought it from her and he always talked about the work it took for him to get the animal smells and damage out of the place and get it back in shape.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”