To Convert From Girlie-Man or Not?

heatwithcoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: AK-110

Post by heatwithcoal » Sun. Sep. 14, 2008 9:49 pm

I have a chance to move to a Harman Mark II from a Mag Stoker. I can actually make some money on the conversion but wonder what the pros and cons are to moving to a hand-fired stove.
Maybe I am just looking for a new challenge but how much does a hand-fired consume someone? As it is, I am usually down in the basement checking out the Magnum at least twice a day. How much more attention is required of a hand-fired? What else should I consider?

Any advice from the professional coalologists out there will be very much appreciated.

Maybe I should post this in the Hand-Fire Forum?

Mark

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Sep. 14, 2008 10:01 pm

I'll move this to the hand feed forum if you want.. for now, lets see if you get enough responses.

My answer to your question is you will NEED to be checking, shaking and reloading the Mark II every 12 hours or so.. or the fire could go out from too much ash choking the grates. You will have to learn new habits and temperature control techniques, and you will rely on chimney draft to keep your fire going.

On the plus side, in the event of a power failure, you will not lose your fire, but the heat output from the Mark II will be less if you are using the distribution fan on the stove.

Personally I would not want to be tethered to the stove's feeding schedule,, that is the beauty of the stoker stoves... you can be late getting home from work, or a dinner and not come home to a cold house and have to build a new fire.

Greg L.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sun. Sep. 14, 2008 10:08 pm

There are a few reasons I prefer my hand fired over a stoker.

1. No matter what the weather, I'll always have heat! Even if I lose power.
2. Unless I choose to run the distribution fan, the stove is totally silent & uses zero power.
3. I am not tied to one size of coal. I can experiment with & use nut, pea or other sizes of coal.

Being retired now , I am around more to throw a few shovels of fresh coal on the fire so I can get away with shaking the stove down once a day.

heatwithcoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: AK-110

Post by heatwithcoal » Sun. Sep. 14, 2008 10:20 pm

A thought I just had was, I don't think the hand-fired has a 6" take-off on it (that I can see anyway) to pipe to the main floor in my house.

These are all good points and I like the idea of "experimenting" and just learning to burn differently.

Keep the advice/comments coming.

Mark

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Sep. 15, 2008 4:48 am

The only real advantage to hand fired is as Greg stated you don't need power which can certainly be a huge plus if you're in an area where the power goes out for extended periods of time. I know if I lived in such an area I'd at least have a small one to keep some heat in the house.

Less things to break might be another advantage but that's a stretch especially if you're mechanically inclined.
Devil505 wrote:2. Unless I choose to run the distribution fan, the stove is totally silent & uses zero power.
3. I am not tied to one size of coal. I can experiment with & use nut, pea or other sizes of coal.
Two other things to consider but when our stoker runs its like part of the house, you don't hear it, since its in the cellar it's just a low drone anyway. For the smaller stokers in the living space I'd imagine that might be something to consider. As far as the different sized coal that too is good point. Pea coal is usually very abundant so in the event of a really bad shortage that would be the last size to disappear.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Sep. 15, 2008 5:59 am

A hand feed is like a new puppy,, needing tending and watching. A stoker is like a well trained dog,, does it's job, no surprises, it's there for you..

The Stokers are quite reliable,, and with the backup power supplies, the power outages are a moot point, I'd personally stay with a stoker.

Greg L

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Sep. 15, 2008 7:29 am

Greg and Richard are right on the mark with their comments. My hand-fed requires attention 2 times a day, the stoker the same, but if I'm late getting to it the stoker will still be running, the hand-fed may be out or on it's way.

I'd stick with the stoker, or better yet have both!

There are ways to duct heat from any stove.
BLOWER CONTROL 03-01-08.jpg
.JPG | 578.3KB | BLOWER CONTROL 03-01-08.jpg

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Mon. Sep. 15, 2008 3:12 pm

Well like any good "coalaholic' GET BOTH. :D
DON

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Mon. Sep. 15, 2008 10:25 pm

Well said Don! :lol: :lol: :) Scott

coalcat

Post by coalcat » Fri. Sep. 19, 2008 12:15 am

I bought a Harman Mark III vented it into my basement fireplace began experimenting with it couldn't get it to burn above 250-300 degrees. One day I left for a couple hours came back it was 850 degrees. What I learned from this is you better have a proper chimney with enough draw. The chimney is 12" and wasn't drawing enough until it got warmed up enough. I put flue pipe up chimney part way but it still was unpredictible. I sold it and bought an Alaska Cast Console fire place stoker with wall thermostat it has worked flawlessly for two years, very predictable and you are only using the amount coal actually needed to satisfy the thermostat. I have a Keystoker K-A6 ordered so I can hook it into my oil boiler system, will be selling the Alaska will post it once boiler is installed. Moral of story if you want handfed your chimney better have very good draw, and that will vary according to atmospheric conditions also. In a stoker the air is blown in and will have a steady predictable burn. Good Luck

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”