Awesome Stove

mjsimpson2

Post by mjsimpson2 » Thu. Sep. 11, 2008 5:55 pm

My Pioneer stove is installed and running. I can't believe how well this stove heats. It was a little difficult to get the coal started but once it's going the heat keeps coming. The coaltrol works great also. So far I haven't had to touc :D h it. The real test will be in january when it's maybe 10 for a high temp. My wife is also happy so far. She loves the flame and the glowing coals. I would have to say this is one of the best purchases I've ever made. The only thing that would be better is if I had a coal mine in my backyard.

Staying Warm In The Adirondacks,
Matt

gambler

Post by gambler » Thu. Sep. 11, 2008 8:33 pm

If you like the stove now you will love it when winter gets here. Trust me, it will become a gathering place. My wife and kids kind of snubbed their noses at dad and his goofy stove but as it got colder out I would find them in front of the stove all of the time. It was not because the rest of the house was cold because I kept it at 73 but rather like a lizzard soaking up the heat. So when winter comes keep an eye out for the stove lizzards!

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Sep. 16, 2008 2:43 pm

Our bodies like radiant heat. Overheated 'scorched air' is not comfortable,, but radiant heat is.

Greg L

spc

Post by spc » Tue. Sep. 16, 2008 7:53 pm

mjsimpson2 wrote:She loves the flame and the glowing coals.
Congratulation, great stove. One point, search the forum on keeping the door glass clean, I have not had much luck. I did read applying butchers wax helps & its better to do it with a new stove. Good luck.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Sep. 16, 2008 7:56 pm

spc wrote:Congratulation, great stove. One point, search the forum on keeping the door glass clean, I have not had much luck. I did read applying butchers wax helps & its better to do it with a new stove. Good luck.
I have always used Rutland Glass Cleaner with excellent results.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Sep. 16, 2008 7:57 pm

Cleaning Glass/Stove

BTW, I coated the window about 2 months ago. Tonight I sprayed it with water and wiped it clean. Almost ready for a recoat, it's getting cloudy near the top.

mjsimpson2

Post by mjsimpson2 » Tue. Sep. 16, 2008 8:28 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I've had good luck with the rutland glass cleaner so far. I've tried one bag of coal tha my dealer gave me but I picked up five bags of Jeddo coal which seems to be washed unlike the other. It was also $50 less than the other.In my area my choices seem to be somewhat limited but I'm finding other sources the more I look. Maybe I'll look into getting a full 24 tons and sell what I don't need. The prices around here range from $375 bagged to $245 loose. I really can't say enough about the Pioneer stove though. It easily surpassed my expectations.

Matt

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Wed. Sep. 17, 2008 5:16 am

Matt, congrats on the install. I'm sure it'll be more popular as the days get colder.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”