lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Wed. Sep. 03, 2008 6:22 pm

Greetings and salutations fellow board members,

It is getting cooler and I am seriously thinking about having a firebox reducer
welded up for my wood coal boiler to improve efficiency-that is if I do not buy the
Outdoor wood,woodchip, coal stoker from the portage and main dealer in Rennsaulier NY.

Any of you using a firebox reducer for the indoor boiler?

My boilers firebox is 12 by 24 and I have an 8 by 12 chimney sharing flue with my oil boiler
-grandfathered etc. Of course if I go the outdoor route the indoor wc boiler will be gone-had
it for 26 years so maybee its time. ;) :?: :beer:

leon

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Sep. 03, 2008 8:05 pm

Yes I've used a firebox reducer, but they don't work with every firebox or chimney.
First, you must have all the unused grate completely blocked so ALL the air entering under the fire HAS to go through the fire...Any air leaking around the coal and the coal fire will go out..

Second, you can't stop the grate's movement, you still must be able to shake the grates to shake down the ash.

Third, there will be less heat going up the chimney, so you will usually have less draft, so it can be a problem to keep the coal fire going in marginally cool/warm weather.. Sharing the chimney with the oil boiler will make this even more of a problem.. you will lose a lot of draft through the oil boiler. It may be very difficult to keep a low to moderate fire burning.. it may only work with a hot fire creating lots of draft.

With all the above said,, if you reduce the firebox to say 12x12, retain the shaker grates, and seal off the air from the unused portion of the firebox, then if you build a deep fire, at least 8-10" deep, then you may be able to burn the fire low enough to last long enough to make it worthwhile..

You may be better off just burning a hot wood fire, for a shorter period of time to take the chill off the house.. and wait for cold weather to burn coal.

What make is your boiler, can you post some photos of the firebox and grates..

Greg L.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Wed. Sep. 03, 2008 10:40 pm

Thanks greg,

I own a switzer boiler made by gary switzer in Dundee new york. ;)
He has a web site now showing his hybrid boiler system.

I have not had leak or problem with the construction of the boiler at in 26 years
but I am getting older and I am tired of having to lug wood inside when I could
leave the mess and ashes outside.

The other problem is the boiler is to the left of the door so you have to come in
shut the door and then load the boiler or empty the ashes and there is barely 24
inches wide between the wall,the loading doors, and ash pit door.

I had fire brick installed in the back wall of the boiler as it has no water on the rear wall-
welded angle iron to the back and stacked the fire brick three high-I guess I should have
had it fully over twenty years ago.

If I buy the portage and main with the removable stoker it will have huge amounts of
fire brick in it so I know I will be happy about that.

My other concern of course is the boiler has not been recertified-but I know it is capable of
steam-He hydro tested every boiler as I under stand it from what I remember.
My buderous boiler is 18 years old and has its third reillo burner.

I have a veey old school house/frankenstein home)hot water baseboard and have always hated it-it is run on inside walls of the
perimeter of the house rather than the inside walls.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”