Ash Vacuum Recomendations?

jrn8265

Post by jrn8265 » Wed. Aug. 27, 2008 9:21 am

Does anyone have a recommendation for purchasing an ash vacuum?

Not looking for top of the line but a reasonable expenditure for a unit that will keep my keystoker koker clean.

Thanks!

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Wed. Aug. 27, 2008 9:38 am

Not sure if you mean a dedicated vac designed for ashes or a regular one. The ones designed for ashes are pretty expensive! I think most people here find a regular shop vac with a plaster dust filter works fine, as, long as you are careful not to suck up hot embers. (Better still, put in a central vac system & you'll get no dust whatever being blown into the house. If you install it yourself, they aren't all that much more $$$ than just a good vacuum. Very easy to install in a ranch or split entry ranch)
I vacuum my stove & surrounding area every day & find it really cuts down on the dust around the house. It only ads a few minutes to my shake-down routine & is worth it. :devil:

CoaLen
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by CoaLen » Wed. Aug. 27, 2008 11:11 am

A local fellow coal burner has come up with a pretty ingenious system for removing ash with a vaccum. He describes it like this:
He has a leafblower/vacuum mounted on a wood box outside his house. He wired it to a switch mounted near his Koker furnace. He ran a PVC line from the blower/vacuum, into the basement near his furnace and put a piece of flexible hose on the end. He simply flips the switch and vacuums the ash up into the box sitting on a trailer outside his house. Kind of a poor man's central vac system.
-Len

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Aug. 27, 2008 11:41 am

Metal pipe, cyclone seperator, metal/fireproof filter bag.
Fireproof vacuum system, just to be sure keep it 20 feet from your house.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Wed. Aug. 27, 2008 12:05 pm

Claridon wrote:He has a leafblower/vacuum mounted on a wood box outside his house. He wired it to a switch mounted near his Koker furnace. He ran a PVC line from the blower/vacuum, into the basement near his furnace and put a piece of flexible hose on the end. He simply flips the switch and vacuums the ash up into the box sitting on a trailer outside his house. Kind of a poor man's central vac system.
Sounds pretty ingenious & cheap too! :clap:

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”