Help Me Understand Stoker Fire Please

jrn8265

Post by jrn8265 » Mon. Aug. 25, 2008 9:51 am

"In idle mode the fire will be a narrow red band of glowing coals, with only a little blue flame off of the coal. The rest of the grate will be ashes.."

I am trying to understand the above and more.

So when a stoker has no demand for heat from the thermostat it simply keeps a small strip of coal burning on the grate...but where is that strip located?...towards the end of the grate towards the ash pan or towards the hopper in the back of the grate?

also...when there is a demand for heat...which direction does the fire spread on the grate from front to back (back being where the hopper is and front being where the door is)

and...how wide an ash section should there be on the grate during idle and full burn and where and does it differ?

Thank you!

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Aug. 25, 2008 10:03 am

You're strip of burning coal whether it's idling or going full bore is going to be located in the middle or upper middle for the most part. As the coal is pushed onto the grate it pushes the fire down exposing fresh coal to the air holes. The ashes fall off the end. Heres' 2 pictures, not sure who posted them so I can't give credit. I'm not sure if these are from the same stoker

Attachments

bed_design.jpg
.JPG | 89.5KB | bed_design.jpg
bed_design2.jpg
.JPG | 168.8KB | bed_design2.jpg

jrn8265

Post by jrn8265 » Mon. Aug. 25, 2008 10:14 am

So in idle the fire strip will be towards the back closer to the hopper with most of the grate being ash...then as demand increases more coal is pushed out onto the grate and the fire spreads forward and back as the coal dumps on the grate? and I assume the ash trail becomes smaller towards the front when demand is highest because most of the grate is burning coal?

That correct?

gambler

Post by gambler » Mon. Aug. 25, 2008 10:19 am

So when a stoker has no demand for heat from the thermostat it simply keeps a small strip of coal burning on the grate...but where is that strip located?...towards the end of the grate towards the ash pan or towards the hopper in the back of the grate?
Towards the hopper at the back of the grate.
when there is a demand for heat...which direction does the fire spread on the grate from front to back (back being where the hopper is and front being where the door is)
From back to front.
how wide an ash section should there be on the grate during idle and full burn
The ash is always full width of the grate.

jrn8265

Post by jrn8265 » Mon. Aug. 25, 2008 10:26 am

Cool! Can't wait to get mine working....how much ash during full burn? Last inch or so towards the front?

gambler

Post by gambler » Mon. Aug. 25, 2008 10:30 am

jrn8265 wrote:Cool! Can't wait to get mine working....how much ash during full burn? Last inch or so towards the front?
Yes, You want to adjust the stoker so that at max output you will have about an inch of ash at the end of the grate. If it is pushing red hot coals off of the end you need to cut back on the feed a little.

jrn8265

Post by jrn8265 » Mon. Aug. 25, 2008 10:37 am

Got it, thanks!

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”