Dayton 1TDN5 blower motor replacement

bobf
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hitzer 608

Post by bobf » Sat. Feb. 11, 2023 11:25 am

Hello,
I have a Hitzer 608. It has been working great for about 8 years. It died the other night and combustion motor is frozen. So I purchased a Dayton 1TDN5 and happy they are readily available and inexpensive. I'm ready to install and have a question about the wiring. Should be simple enough. Two wires, one black and one white. My question is that the existing wiring to the motor is not color coded. They are both black. Does it matter which wire I connect to the white or are they both considered line and interchangeable?
Thanks.
Bob

bobf

Post by bobf » Sat. Feb. 11, 2023 11:26 am

Appreciate any help with what should be a very simple replacement. Thanks

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Feb. 11, 2023 12:03 pm

I would think that the connections (neutral and power) would be be relevant to if it would work.

I wonder if doing one way v. the other would result in the motor turning opposite directions.

This is easily tested on a benchtop. I presume its 120v motor. Hook blower wires one way and check the blower's operation. Then the opposite.

bobf

Post by bobf » Sat. Feb. 11, 2023 12:23 pm

Thanks David.
Good idea. I can do that. My concern is that the old blower is frozen so I don't know which direction it is supposed to turn if in fact it is reversible by switching wires. I don't understand why the wires on the blower being replaced were not color coded but both black. I'll see what happens.

bobf

Post by bobf » Sat. Feb. 11, 2023 12:47 pm

David,
The blower rotated in the same direction regardless of the wire set up i.e. switching black and white did not change direction of the blower. So I must assume and I don't like to assume that it doesn't matter which wires get connected.
Let me know if any additional thoughts.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Feb. 11, 2023 1:06 pm

There you go...it no matters.

I'll have to check my 503 blowers for fun now.

You might be able to bang that old one around to loosen the grime and get it to move a little bit if you wanted to.

Good luck,

bobf

Post by bobf » Sat. Feb. 11, 2023 2:57 pm

Went back together nice and I used a butt connector so that I could use the original blower plug and with shrink wrap it looks pretty good. I just started a fire with one of my homemade mice starters and it was much easier than previously so the motor must have been failing for some time. Fire is blazing now and coaltrol will have to reset.

I removed the Dayton 1TDR5 blower while I was at it and cleaned out the dust and dog hair accumulation from many years. I was thinking of replacing it but seems to be spinning/running good so maybe a few more years with that one. (Dog hair was kinda nasty so glad I took it apart and cleaned with brushes and leaf blower - just one more use I found for my leaf blower.)

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”