Help: Super Magnum Coal Stoker

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Sat. Feb. 18, 2023 6:24 am

All good tips. My biggest problem was chunks of coal getting by me in loading the hopper. They would build up and jam the feeder up. And to compound the issue the fork was bent out of spec's. I now screen the Rice for these chunks and find many of them. Also the exhaust pipe fills with ash and will block the exhaust flow so that has to be cleaned out regularly.
Like above blow out combustion motor or replace it. While out blow out the path from it to the feeder area. For feed rate I have it set on 2 1/2 and we use the probe temp setting as we have the probe up stairs in the main living area.
The only trouble I had this winter was with temps 21 below during the day the ash came off the grate stuck together and caused the buring coal behind it to pile up high and then new coal going over the outside walls into the ash pan. Harman should of designed the stove with more frontal area between the door and the end of the grate so the ash would break and fall of it's own weight in those cases.

HarmanStoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Verti-Flow
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard as Backup

Post by HarmanStoker » Mon. Feb. 20, 2023 10:39 pm

20230219_145904.jpg
.JPG | 323.5KB | 20230219_145904.jpg
Thankfully, It's been running well since I cleaned out the combustion fan.

It's not normal for the coal bed to be that thick, I think that's just because it was getting such a bad burn that it wasn't compressing down into ashes.

I've learned to always check the feeder first when I have a problem with the stove. It's generally the culprit, but the two issues I've had this year had nothing do with the feeder and I've learned more new things. I love the coal stove, but sometimes it likes to give head scratching challenges.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”