Main reason for fly ash?

Crazyfarmer
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Eagle foundry company BELLEVille Illinois 42L 16

Post by Crazyfarmer » Thu. Jan. 05, 2023 7:55 pm

I’m trying to figure out why I’m getting so much fly ash in my vertical pipe that goes into my chimney? I have a good draft wondering if my buddies burning better Coal. He has no fly ash maybe his newer stove is burning more efficient. Maybe he has a better draft what’s the variables I had about 2 1/2 inches in my vertical pipe that goes over to my triple wall pipe is this normal

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Jan. 05, 2023 9:10 pm

If you run you stove hard that will produce more flyash. The coal itself can make a big difference also. I have had some that produced 2x as much flyash without changing anything else.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Jan. 06, 2023 7:41 am

Stovepipe configuration may play a role in ash depositing. Can you post a pic of the run?

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Jan. 06, 2023 12:19 pm

Whether running a handfired stove or a stoker boiler, I always have a pretty high flyash content here.

My new to me EFM520 is just loafing along heating this place, yet the interior of the boiler was encased after just a month of run time. I blew it all off with compressed air. Pretty sure it was due to the paint inside that got tacky during the first fire, then everything just built up from there. The blast of compressed air blew the paint right off with it. We'll see in another month what happens. Also won't know what's happening inside the chimney pipe until I disassemble that in spring.

Usually after a 3-4 month heating season, the 6" pipe on the 3 units I used to run would be about 1/3rd blocked. The EFM has 8" pipe, so we'll see what happens there. Now I'm tempted to stick my scope in the baro and see how things look.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Jan. 06, 2023 1:23 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Thu. Jan. 05, 2023 9:10 pm
If you run you stove hard that will produce more flyash. The coal itself can make a big difference also. I have had some that produced 2x as much flyash without changing anything else.
And I get more fly ash and smaller bits of ash when I run my stoves slow. When I push them hotter the ash becomes the bigger chunks of fused, but grindable clinkers stage and very little fly ash with that.

Paul

Crazyfarmer

Post by Crazyfarmer » Sat. Jan. 07, 2023 9:14 am

Yep I don’t think it matters if it’s idling or running hard it’s probably due to the cold quality. I’m getting some of these bags on the pallet are caking in the hopper . And thanks for the feedback. It’s a stoker stove . Barometric damper is set at a minimum. Just a lot of fly ash around the ash pan to. Vacuum that out every so often.

Crazyfarmer

Post by Crazyfarmer » Sun. Jan. 08, 2023 2:08 am

coaledsweat wrote:
Fri. Jan. 06, 2023 7:41 am
Stovepipe configuration may play a role in ash depositing. Can you post a pic of the run?

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”