Model 140, paddle feed motor removal.

lamoore99

Post by lamoore99 » Sat. Dec. 10, 2022 7:57 pm

New guy here. I've been reading these forums the past few weeks. And they've been a ton of help.

Picked up an Alaska model 140 single a few weeks back. Bought it used. So far set up and dial in was going pretty well until the other day.

I am averaging a bag of coal a day, and was planning on staying at the lady friend's house for the night. So I would be leaving my house at 6:00 a.m. and returning roughly about 7:00 p.m. the next day. I loaded the hopper with three bags of coal on top of what little bit was in there.

When I returned Saturday night the stove had gone out. Upon inspection the shaft from motor to paddle had fallen off the paddle side.

I replaced the shaft and retightened it. I then found out that the paddle motor was sticking in its rotation. With a little push the motor will continue to rotate until it reaches that point again.

As I'm waiting to order a new motor, I would like to remove the old one and attempt a repair. How do you remove the paddle feed motor? I see there are four nuts on the underside but I cannot access them with a driver, or a socket. Am I missing something here?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Dec. 11, 2022 12:36 pm

Sure sounds like What you have there is a gearbox reduction with a bad gear or gears. Trust me, you will not be able to repair that.
This is where having a spare on the shelf comes in handy. They never break when it’s convenient to get another one real fast.

Sorry

lamoore99

Post by lamoore99 » Sun. Dec. 11, 2022 5:46 pm

You are probably right. I still need to know how to remove the motor so I can replace it. That's where I'm having my most trouble currently.

Black_And_Blue
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska 140

Post by Black_And_Blue » Mon. Jan. 02, 2023 10:29 am

A 14 year run, not bad, gears/bushings finaly gave up :

Couldn't find a 4 hole case feed motor, so I replaced it with a 6 hole design that has a larger output shaft and was for a wood pellet/auger application.

Turned it 90 degrees and required some modification to the stove mount plate but it is more robust in my opinion.

lamoore99

Post by lamoore99 » Thu. Jan. 05, 2023 12:55 pm

Got my new motor in. Having some other issues, but have heat for now.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Jan. 05, 2023 3:10 pm

Good, having heat is a very good thing.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”