New Guy, Not quite as dumb as when I started...

robj

Post by robj » Mon. Nov. 14, 2022 12:42 am

So I did get a stove, an Alaska Channing III and so far it's been pretty much "plug and play". Seems to be working great, putting out tons of heat. Backed the coal feed to 1.5 [1 to 5, 5 is max] and it ran all night, no issues.
[This is in my shop so I'm not there at night]
Cranked it up to 4.5 in the morning and within a short time was really blowing hot air. Ash seems to be 99% ash with no unburnt coal so I'm guessing the combustion is good.

Today was a pretty good test, 44-37 degrees and quite windy. Kept my uninsulated 30 x 40, board and batten shop at 67-68 degrees. I have a forced air oil furnace I can turn on from time to time if the coal stove doesn't keep up but I'm trying to avoid using the oil.

So far I'm loving this thing.
m0rfr72QR%WCapPRNMTgTw.jpg
.JPG | 674.4KB | m0rfr72QR%WCapPRNMTgTw.jpg

A quick question. Is the air going up through the burn plate affected at all by the blower fan speed?
And if not, when I reduce the coal flow [at night] I assume I also need to reduce the blower speed? Or doesn't that matter, just results in cooler air [or same temp air] at a higher velocity?

Basically , if I turn the coal feed to the lowest setting, should I also reduce the blower speed to the lowest setting? And mid-feed, mid blower speed, etc...
Thanks,
robj

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Nov. 14, 2022 6:17 am

Welcome! Sounds like you are getting it dialed in.

I would turn the convection blower down, it's just gonna blow cooler air if it's not running hotter. it won't affect burn or anything. it'll just idle along. I know on mine the blower speed adjusts based on feed rate (Running a Coal-Trol). and if it's just idling, the blowers are basically off. I do have a custom heat jacket with a heat switch, so if it does get too warm the jacket blower will kick on and wash the stove off.

My keystoker just has a temp switch for the blower, if it's not hot enough, it doesn't even run. when it's idling, the blower usually don't even turn on.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Nov. 14, 2022 6:01 pm

The convection blower will either blow hotter air with a lower volume, or not as hot air with a higher volume. The BTUs delivered into the room won't change a whole lot, given that the heat source didn't change.

I notice this effect when I clean the filter in my air handler..

robj

Post by robj » Mon. Nov. 14, 2022 6:14 pm

Lightning wrote:
Mon. Nov. 14, 2022 6:01 pm
The convection blower will either blow hotter air with a lower volume, or not as hot air with a higher volume. The BTUs delivered into the room won't change a whole lot, given that the heat source didn't change.

That's was I was thinking. The temp of the air didn't change, it just "feels" cooler due to the higher velocity.

Thanks,
robj

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 9:25 am

Blowing say 10,000 btu’s out with fast air speed is lower degrees of air. (50*)

Same blower same 10,000 btu’s out with slower air speed is higher degrees air. (80*)

Which one (50 or 80) moved the most total and which one the least total?

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”