Topless Pioneer LE Top Vent

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Thu. Aug. 21, 2008 12:22 am

Hi Jerry,

A guy on this thread COAL BIN Pics had a great idea on how to get his coal into his house by using a chute to fill his bucket on the inside of his house and I wanted to know if I could take his wonderful idea and go one step further by skipping the whole bucket process and just gravity feed it directly into the hopper of my stove?

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Thu. Aug. 21, 2008 1:12 am

I saw the word topless and thought it may have been a more interesting thread. Anyway, I just want you to take a look at this thread on hopper fires:

Hopper Fire - Alaska Channing 3 With Direct Vent

I'm not sure of your setup so.....................Just be careful because coal burns very, very hot and it's not a joke. It will burn your house down if u do something stupid - not that u would. :hammer: The first time I had a hopper fire I couldn't sleep at night thinking it might happen again and burn my house down. I found the cause of it and took care of the problem. I even bought a snap switch/probe so if the temp of the hopper reaches say 140 degrees the snap switch will activate and turn off my stove by opening the circuit. This is a safety device that should be on all stoves and may even be on the Leisure Line.

gambler

Post by gambler » Thu. Aug. 21, 2008 7:21 am

Check out this old thread.
Hyfire II Hopper Cover.

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Thu. Aug. 21, 2008 8:25 am

Gambler
I saw it was ok for that model but I would just like to make sure that it's ok for this model. I'm sure it is but I want know for sure and who would know better then the owner?

Trader
I don't have mine setup yet, it's on my list of many things to do. From reading that thread it seems it would be fine as long as there is a baro installed on it, thus following mfg recommendations. It clearly seems that Greg is/has pushed this stove to were it should want to have something bad happen to it but it just doesn't want to give in.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Thu. Aug. 21, 2008 8:45 am

He's the man! My stove has a baro so I probably could leave the top off but I don't know your setup so..............

Jerry & Karen

Post by Jerry & Karen » Thu. Aug. 21, 2008 6:45 pm

I have see set ups that have a 1 ton hopper elevated outside and run a 3" plastic pipe through the basement window into the hopper on the back of the stove. Fill it 4 times a year. Also, by leaving the hopper lid off does not cause a hopper fire, if it does there is a problem with your stove.
Jer

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Fri. Aug. 22, 2008 9:06 am

Very nice Jerry! You always have the nicest things to say. :notworthy:

*Dreaming of a large bin and not having to go outside in the cold to get coal* :dancing:

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”