Alaska Direct Vent Draft Problem

emhpls
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by emhpls » Mon. Oct. 17, 2022 6:35 pm

Hi All,

New to the board. Have an Alaska Channing with Direct Vent. Bought new about 10 years ago. Well maintained and cleaned. Last year at end of season had small hopper fire. Shut down for summer. Trying to start up again, replaced strongback, hopper gasket, and grate gasket. Draft reading between -.08 and -.12. Can not get down to the factory setting by moving the direct vent collar per factory. The only other thing I can think of is combustion air motor is not pushing enough air. It is working. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,
Ed

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Oct. 18, 2022 7:11 pm

Is the power/direct vent mounted directly on the stove? or the wall?

do you have coal in it to block off the hopper?
Sounds like you did all the gaskets, which could have lead to the hopper burn back with that much draft pulling air from hopper area or grate leak and causing it to burn back. That is too GOOD draft, some power vents have a damper on them to adjust the draft, or maybe put a rheostat on it to slow it down a bit as long as you can monitor with a draft gauge.. do you have any room for a baro damper in between the power vent and stove that you can adjust the draft on the stove with?

emhpls

Post by emhpls » Tue. Oct. 18, 2022 8:38 pm

The Alaska direct vent comes out the back of the stove at the bottom. It attaches right to the back of the stove, so I dont think a damper can be installed. Factory says to adjust the draft by sliding the direct vent unit on the collar. For the past 9 years or so the draft was fine, not sure what changed. I was reading up a little about the rheostat on the motor. I may look into that. Alaska customer service has not been too good the past couple of years.

Thanks for the help.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. Oct. 18, 2022 9:34 pm

Where are you taking the draft reading? It should be over the fire.

emhpls

Post by emhpls » Wed. Oct. 19, 2022 6:11 am

Alaska stove has a small hole on the top left side. That is where they say to take the reading.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”