Leisure Line Pocono top vent help

Crazyfarmer
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Eagle foundry company BELLEVille Illinois 42L 16

Post by Crazyfarmer » Tue. Oct. 11, 2022 9:03 pm

Hi, I’m looking for pictures and information on punching a hole in the top of my Leisure Line and Coal Stove to help get heat upstairs with duck work. my question is if I get a new top with the deflector should that be sufficient enough compared to buying a whole air jacket? and what are the recommendations for the size of the hole on the top and piping? The closest vent that I could get to from where the stove is positioned at the chimney is about 8 to 10 feet away thinking about going straight up from the stove to the drop ceiling, then up into the rafters, then another elbow over to the grate in the floor.3 three elbows. hopefully if I get the heat upstairs, I should get convection to help push it down the steps by leaving the door opened that’s located on the other end of the house/room if not, maybe, I have to add a fan in the duck work?

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Oct. 13, 2022 2:57 pm

I have a Pocono (110k) and I drilled an 8" hole in the top. Sorry no pics as it is in the carriage house and I will not walk in the rain even for you. UP to a 11' ceiling with uninsulated metal stove pipe and then across the attic 50' in 12" well insulated plastic flexible pipe ( I forget the fancy name) so there is no resistance and then down through two ceiling ducts the building is 80 by 30' with 12" insulated walls. Works very well. You are trying to get heat upstairs so the air will flow up no problem but there is always a but if you take away nothing else remember these words.. COLD AIR RETURN. It's what a lot of people forget. I have high velocity 2x 8" fans in cheap 6" dryer type ducting in the basement blasting air back to the back of the stove .. not connected just a duct. Getting the air upstairs is very easy mother nature will do that for you and the circulating fan on the stove works well but needs to encounter no resistance but getting the air back to the stove needs thought. IF you send pics and ideas there are plenty of idle bums on this board who will guide you. As this old farmer thinks back I did put in a bigger circulating fan (not combustion fan) thread compatible so no drilling on the stove to help things along LL will guide you. Add three rows of 1/8" holes and this will boost the output again LL will help they even sell the modified plate. Perhaps the combustion fan was upped a little. 15 years and no problems ... cheap heat (or used to be)

Crazyfarmer

Post by Crazyfarmer » Thu. Oct. 13, 2022 6:52 pm

Thanks for a reply I think in the beginning I’m only gonna do one vent see how much heat I could get upstairs. The return should be the door that goes down the staircase that will be always opened so it should push cold air back down if I’m getting the flow that you’re talking about I’ll run piping across the whole house and put in two more floor registers! I just wanna make sure how big that hole has to be on top of the stove and you’re just using the deflector plate? also, how far away do you have your cold troll thermostat from the stove. Thanks for the help

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Oct. 13, 2022 6:55 pm

8" no plate needed .. good luck but warm air does not descend well

Crazyfarmer

Post by Crazyfarmer » Thu. Oct. 13, 2022 7:01 pm

Well, I can get the basement is hot as hell upstairs still only stays 50 or 60° at the most. So the cold air should go down I’m hoping that’s pretty wild. You didn’t put the deflector plate underneath. there’s no rush if you would if you’re ever out in the carriage barn I’d like to see pictures I have the older model Pocono .

Crazyfarmer

Post by Crazyfarmer » Thu. Oct. 13, 2022 7:11 pm

Probably have a damper coming off the stove to control how much air is going up the pipe? And bigger pipe more heat will rise by itself?

Attachments

A33373E1-B919-4F20-B9CA-F98593DFCFB2.jpeg
.JPEG | 779KB | A33373E1-B919-4F20-B9CA-F98593DFCFB2.jpeg

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Oct. 13, 2022 7:49 pm

Whether it is a 90k or 110k makes little difference. Are those photos showing your stove just under the duct in the ceiling and that is the way the hot air gets upstairs so the ceiling gets to say 100f and it's 50f upstairs. Either the house is huge or you are not getting enough air up there. As everything is hidden photos will be of little use. LL will sell you a top already cut. 8" stove pipe or standard pipe straight up through the ceiling into (I presume) the bedroom. The newly cut louvre in the bed floor can be Lowes elcrappo variable duct and that controls the system. XS blows out the stove. So lots of flow from the stove and the issue now is COLD AIR RETURN.

So bed door open and door down stairs open may do it. I prefer a vent cut in the door as you may be doing strange things in the bedroom. Particularly if you up the fan in the stove. So you have 2 x265cfm distribution blowers and I would up that as long as the noise does not offend you. We will stay with you and advise ... off you go.

Crazyfarmer

Post by Crazyfarmer » Thu. Oct. 13, 2022 8:01 pm

2000 Square-foot house you are correct if I go directly up from the stove, that’s the bedroom I’d like to run a pipe over to the vent in the ceiling where the red lines are in the picture that takes you into the living room then heat distribution should be a lot easier the chimney keeps the bedroom warm enough. The door I speak of is in the center of the house, where the staircase goes down opposite direction of the stove. Then it goes down a hallway into that room, where the stove is not my set up. That’s where it was when I bought the house I would’ve not positioned the chimney that way and maybe I would get convection if I move the stove more in line with the hallway, but this is what I’m working with just trying to figure it out.

Crazyfarmer

Post by Crazyfarmer » Thu. Oct. 13, 2022 8:02 pm

And yes, I have contacted Leisure Line. I just have to drive down there one day and I have to see what piping is still available in the stores. He recommends a piece of flat stock bent into a v to help push the air up the pipe. And I would agree with your temperatures

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Oct. 13, 2022 8:32 pm

and so you are on your way and I will look out your for your posts. I don't have that flat stock and 15 years and running strong and the 8"pipe can be found at an HVAC place although we live in a constrained world. The air either goes up the pipe or out the front.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Flow-8-in-x-5- ... /100172984

and my local store has 40 in stock/ Also need a collar or two and the ceiling stuff all usually in stock

For now just jam some insulation in that front slit no need to get fancy or select stuff you have to wait for

Crazyfarmer

Post by Crazyfarmer » Thu. Oct. 13, 2022 9:49 pm

Thanks coalnewbie!

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Oct. 13, 2022 10:45 pm

Coal brothers help each other and the price is right

Crazyfarmer

Post by Crazyfarmer » Thu. Oct. 27, 2022 11:20 pm

Well, I finally got my duck work up just need colder temperatures to do a fire. I tested it by plugging both circulating fans in doesn’t seem like it’s pushing much out the vent upstairs but maybe that will change with heat involved. But at least I’m moving forward so far.

Attachments

77A04713-5CBE-43F1-85DB-72D23A99F4DD.jpeg
.JPEG | 752KB | 77A04713-5CBE-43F1-85DB-72D23A99F4DD.jpeg

Sylvesterd101
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260
Coal Size/Type: nut, anthracite

Post by Sylvesterd101 » Mon. Oct. 31, 2022 10:57 am

that stove pipe that close to drop ceiling makes me nervous lol..

Crazyfarmer

Post by Crazyfarmer » Mon. Oct. 31, 2022 11:16 am

Sylvesterd101 wrote:
Mon. Oct. 31, 2022 10:57 am
that stove pipe that close to drop ceiling makes me nervous lol..
[/quote
Why? You can place your hand on top of the stove. The chimney doesn’t even get over 100° at its hottest point.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”