New to forum, some questions starting out

KidCoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC-500
Other Heating: Harman P61 Oil

Post by KidCoal » Thu. Oct. 06, 2022 9:42 pm

I have been lurking here for about a year and have learned a lot. My family have purchased a ... Harman DVC-500 ... (don't ask me why most people in the cold weather rush has these). I know that these stoves can be finicky, but I don't back down easily. I can't find a definite answer, do you leave the cleanout tee open? The stove is being installed on the second floor about 9 feet off the ground outside. Also, can the exhaust be as long as needed? We are aiming for 11 feet to clear the roof. I don't aim to be a one and done user, I want to contribute to this forum as well. How do you enter your location in your profile? I am from Putnam County, NY. Thank you for any help!

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Oct. 06, 2022 9:52 pm

You don't need a long chimney, it's direct vent, correct? If your 9 feet above grade, it just goes out the wall. Unless you get snow that deep.

KidCoal

Post by KidCoal » Thu. Oct. 06, 2022 10:49 pm

it is direct vent, it is replacing an englander pellet stove that got the soffit sooty. we are putting a long chimney to keep the house clean. the manual does suggest putting a length of vertical pipe. I just dont know if there is a limit. I just remembered too: does anyone know if the ash door gets a gasket? There is no sign of our stove having one and I would think that it should given how sensitive coal is to draft.

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Fri. Oct. 07, 2022 6:49 am

No soot from coal. As far as door gaskets, check the manual.

lgilkes
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman DVC, Keystoker Koker, EFM-AF, EFM-520 Boiler

Post by lgilkes » Fri. Oct. 07, 2022 10:36 am

Question, do you leave the cleanout tee open, the cleanout T should be closed.

The harman kit has these closed, i ran one for years, the draft kit was closed for the draft.

If the draft is off on these the unit will not run.

KidCoal

Post by KidCoal » Fri. Oct. 07, 2022 9:25 pm

Thank you for your responses. The cleanout confused me because the manual mentioned leaving it open, that could have been if there was low clearance to the ground. I just checked the manual, and it does not talk about the viewing nor ash doors having gaskets. I guess that they assume you know what is needed and how to do it. our P61 does have a gasket there and the stoves are similar in style, so I think I will put a gasket.

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Oct. 08, 2022 7:05 am

Does manual have a parts breakdown? Was it new and had no gasket? Or you got it used?

BostonBob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC500,Alaska Gnome 40
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by BostonBob » Sun. Oct. 09, 2022 7:02 pm

Use rope gaskets on the doors or the carbon monoxide may enter into your home ! Also the coal can not be controlled with air getting into the stove like that, I run a DVC 500 also and I think the reason to leave the cap off the tee bottom is for wind not blowing back into the stove and a place for any ash buildup can fall out and not block the exhaust. I run about 4’ of pipe off the tee with a stainless (looks like a dryer type vent)

KidCoal

Post by KidCoal » Mon. Oct. 10, 2022 2:44 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Sat. Oct. 08, 2022 7:05 am
Does manual have a parts breakdown? Was it new and had no gasket? Or you got it used?
The manual does have a breakdown and has rope gasket (load door). We got it used with no sign of a gasket being there.
BostonBob wrote:
Sun. Oct. 09, 2022 7:02 pm
Use rope gaskets on the doors or the carbon monoxide may enter into your home ! Also the coal can not be controlled with air getting into the stove like that, I run a DVC 500 also and I think the reason to leave the cap off the tee bottom is for wind not blowing back into the stove and a place for any ash buildup can fall out and not block the exhaust. I run about 4’ of pipe off the tee with a stainless (looks like a dryer type vent)
You have both doors gasketed? And the tee open? I am going to gasket both, more certainly doesn't hurt. I don't think this stove ran too well. The cleanout under the grates was installed upside down and the grate holder had some sort of homemade shim in the back. Does regular furnace cement work to hold the grates?

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Mon. Oct. 10, 2022 8:32 pm

Up? Or in?

KidCoal

Post by KidCoal » Mon. Oct. 10, 2022 9:13 pm

I see where there can be some confusion with what I wrote. The load door has a gasket that I will replace. I will also (now) gasket the ash door as well. And the furnace cement to hold the grates in.

BostonBob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC500,Alaska Gnome 40
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by BostonBob » Thu. Oct. 13, 2022 8:49 pm

Yes the say 3000 degree cement for the grates and the manual shows the tee (outside) should be open at the bottom (I put a screen on it so things don’t get in) check the motors that they rotate in the proper direction, when I got my stove (used) the combustion blower was running backwards effecting the combustion of the coal (previous owner said it ran great but when I got it home and apart to clean it and test it Is when I found that motor running backwards and changed the wires around in it to run the right direction, installed it and have been running ever since

KidCoal

Post by KidCoal » Fri. Oct. 14, 2022 8:17 pm

Thank you everyone. I will post pictures when we install the stove.

KidCoal

Post by KidCoal » Sat. Oct. 15, 2022 8:50 pm

Can't wait to fire this thing up!

Attachments

P1015046.JPG
.JPG | 369.5KB | P1015046.JPG

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”