New Coal user many ?'s

BucketHed
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Channing III Bottom Vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil

Post by BucketHed » Wed. Oct. 05, 2022 11:00 pm

Greetings all and Thanks for being here—I’m new here and I’m in the midst of installing an Alaska Channing III Stove bottom vent --I have a number of questions but from what I’ve read here I know I in the right place for some accurate feeback.
I guess I’ll start right at the beginning—stove is going in small addition off the main house-I’m going straight out the wall using Selkirk ss pipe- first pipe I put on is a 15” TEE then an 18” straight pipe- this puts me about 8” past the outside wall- I’m then planning to put another TEE w/ cleanout with wall bracket then straight up 12ft with another bracket at 9 ft which puts me 3 feet above the peak of the addition and 10 ft away from the roof of the main house.
My first pipe off the stove is secure but not screwed on my thinking is with the two outside brackets it should be able to keep itself secure. I’m wondering should it be screwed on and though I don’t see it as being loose should. I use a fireproof sealant
The reason I used a TEE as the first pipe is because of what I read on here about using a barometric damper the hole in the TEE for the damper is about 6” away from the back of the stove where it exhausts –I’d like to know if this is in the right position- I know that it needs to be dead level—I am getting pretty beat up on trying to get black stove pipe and the bd matched to the ss Tee- and I’m concerned about a tight seal and wondering if It needs to be being that it is so close to the exhaust -- I’ve read a lot on here about CO gases—
When I got the stove I totally cleaned and repainted it-I wanted to make sure everything is working correctly before I spend $650 on my stack- I fired it up the other night with the BD in and just the straight pipe out of the wall it ran great for about 3.5 hrs and then I began to smell a faint odor of sulfur I turn down the auger speed and increased the blower speed- about 20 min later my CO detector went off I opened the doors and windows and shut it down—I did have quite a bit of moisture under the cover of the hopper—I know this is not the perfect scenario to troubleshoot as the stove is only vented straight out with no stack yet. I guess I’d like to know if this is indeed why my CO detector went off or is there something else I should be looking at. The Gaskets are fairly new. I did the dollar bill trick around the door and no issues there. I guess the long and short of it is I’m going in the right direction and is my pipe layout correct. Sorry for the length of this post but wanted to try and cover everything. I appreciate any info or feedback ---Thank - You

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”