Refurbishing feeder assembly - preventing rust

janitor_ed
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-81

Post by janitor_ed » Sun. Sep. 18, 2022 3:52 pm

I am in the process of refurbishing my Alaska Channing feeder assembly. It was quite heavily rusted when I acquired the stove. I spent quite a bit of time this weekend cleaning it up with wire wheel and wire brush.

I know it’s not recommended to paint anything inside the stove but I am wondering if it would be ok to rub the feeder and grate (the surfaces of the parts inside the stove) with oil?

My thinking is just to keep it from rusting until I fire it up for the heating season.

The external parts of the feeder I am thinking of using the high temperature Rustoleum on.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Sep. 19, 2022 10:15 am

janitor_ed wrote:
Sun. Sep. 18, 2022 3:52 pm
I am in the process of refurbishing my Alaska Channing feeder assembly. It was quite heavily rusted when I acquired the stove. I spent quite a bit of time this weekend cleaning it up with wire wheel and wire brush.

I know it’s not recommended to paint anything inside the stove but I am wondering if it would be ok to rub the feeder and grate (the surfaces of the parts inside the stove) with oil?

My thinking is just to keep it from rusting until I fire it up for the heating season.

The external parts of the feeder I am thinking of using the high temperature Rustoleum on.
Stove Bright makes some fine paints for stoves. Theirs will cure when fired and do not require any primer to be used.

Ceramic coating is about only coating that will not be destroyed be heat/rust for feeder/burner.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”