Going coal soon.. need advice

Yamadoo
Other Heating: Pellet stove

Post by Yamadoo » Wed. Sep. 14, 2022 10:07 pm

I’ll try to keep this short. Been using a pellet stove for about 15 years with assistance from elec baseboard. I’m done, stove is tired and I want something capable of heating house on its own. Had my eye on a keystoker 105 direct vent, (operation similar to the pellet stove) and a DS anthramax 16. Complete opposites I know but also intrigued by the no motor, fans, noise, need for electric, etc.. House is about 2500sqft, 2 story. Pellet stove is in kitchen, center of house, that has 20ft cathedral ceiling with loft upstairs. Heat distribution isn’t really a concern, when pellet stove could be run at max (35kbtu) it was almost sufficient alone. My concern is it’s vented vertically through ceiling with 4” pellet vent approx 25’ of pipe. Question is can the keystoker DV be vented the same way? I could go through wall, into laundry room, 10’ across then out an exterior wall. Will either of these options work or do I spend the $2k on a stainless chimney? Which if I do I’ll probably go with the hand fed. I overthink everything, don’t want to make an expensive mistake and need a shove in one direction or the other as it’s not getting any warmer outside. Appreciate any and all feedback.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Thu. Sep. 15, 2022 12:59 am

I'm sure that you will get plenty of help soon, but I'll take a jab at part of it. I'm a bit surprised that you were able to produce enough heat with the 35k BTU pellet stove to mostly heat your home. then again, I have a very long history of living in 3 homes that have/had zero to little insulation. Also, we don't know your location and climate. Do you have a reliable and available source for Anthracite coal?

The DS Anthramax 16 sounds like a real bruiser. Looks like a 90 Lb. firebox and then the 40lb. hopper. It will eat. It and the Keystoker 105 have "advertised" 105k BTU max outputs. If you have any level of insulation and aren't on the Hudson Bay, either unit should handle the job. Actually, without running nearly full tilt most of the time, which is a very good thing. I'm not experienced with stoker type parlor stoves or direct venting set ups, so I'll leave someone else comment. I do love me a no electric required hand-fired. They've worked well for me, especially in a 2-story home. I have a central chimney and stove is near an open stairwell. I keep plenty of it downstairs with a ceiling fan that runs all heating season in that room.

The DS or KS will need 6 in. coal appropriate type piping. There are only one or two specific alloys of stainless steel that supposed to be good for coal burning use. The more common stainless alloys sold by wood stove shops and hardware stores will be destroyed in a year or two with coal. There are some threads on these forums on the best stainless alloy type. I like black, welded seam, slightly heavier 22 ga. pipe. Even that has become quite pricey. I'm thinking up through the roof, where the pellet piping is now, but 25 ft. is a lot of pipe. Maybe someone can comment if that is too much of a run for direct venting use.

Yamadoo

Post by Yamadoo » Thu. Sep. 15, 2022 4:24 am

Thanks hank2, should’ve mentioned I’m in northeast Ohio about a mile from Pa and Lake Erie so we definitely have our cold moments. In 2007 I did an extensive remodel/addition and definitely didn’t skimp on the insulation. Also have a couple anthracite coal and stove dealers within 20 miles of me so availability is good, just want info from experienced users not a salesman.
I guess my biggest concern is if the distance I have to go either vertical or horizontal with the direct vent is ok or if it would cause issues with the stoves performance. If so then a 6” chimney is my only option as I want to keep the stove in the center of the house. Appreciate the info!

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Sep. 15, 2022 6:38 am

Fwiw, a stove in the middle of the house will have ash and coal dust in the middle of the house. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying keep it in mind.

Yamadoo

Post by Yamadoo » Thu. Sep. 15, 2022 7:06 am

waytomany?s wrote:
Thu. Sep. 15, 2022 6:38 am
Fwiw, a stove in the middle of the house will have ash and coal dust in the middle of the house. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying keep it in mind.
I get it. I’m on a slab so basement isn’t an option. After 15+ years of a pellet stove and the dirt road I wouldn’t know what to do without a little dust.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Sep. 15, 2022 7:13 am

A chimney is the way to go if you can afford it. Hand fired is silent and works in a power outage, definitely something to consider.

If a 35K pellet stove heated your house, it seems like one of the smaller DS stoves would do fine as well.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Sep. 15, 2022 10:03 am

A vertical pipe is better than horizontal...
Ash will lay in horizontal sections...
While it will fall in a vertical pipe...
Plan your clean outs well and it will be easy peasy...
The hand fired will be quieter and no problem if power fails...

Yamadoo

Post by Yamadoo » Thu. Sep. 15, 2022 10:36 am

Thanks Rob and Cape, pretty much what I was thinking all along, just wanted to take the easy way out I guess. I think in the long run I’ll be happier with doing the chimney and hand fed. I already have the chimney kit, double wall 316L pipe and everything I should need in an online shopping cart, guess it’s time to pull the trigger.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Sep. 15, 2022 11:10 am

Some people get rusty pipes quick, some dont. Make sure to read on here what people here do to prevent it. Many posts about that. I have at least 10 years on my cheap box store chimney but it had a thick creosote layer in it from that many more years of wood burning. And make sure you can get coal at your dealers this year as some are out. Enjoy coal. Most of us that had pellet stoves dislike them, compared to coal.

Yamadoo

Post by Yamadoo » Thu. Sep. 15, 2022 12:37 pm

Yeah I’ve been lurking on here for a while getting an education, definitely don’t want to be replacing the chimney every couple years. Luckily there’s only about 20 different options/brands to choose from. I’m gathering that maintenance and avoiding moisture is the key regardless.
Glad to read that last sentence. I can’t complain my stove has been good for a long time and it kept the electric bill down but definitely ready for an upgrade.

lgilkes
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman DVC, Keystoker Koker, EFM-AF, EFM-520 Boiler

Post by lgilkes » Thu. Sep. 15, 2022 2:39 pm

I would look for a Harman DVC-500, they are discontinued, but Harman still supports them.

Great stove, much cleaner than Keystoker 105, also better looking

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”