Coal prices South Central Pennsylvania (Harrisburg area)

Shaun CoalTrain
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II Hearth Model
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Electric

Post by Shaun CoalTrain » Tue. Sep. 06, 2022 5:34 pm

This will be my 4th Winter heating with anthracite. As my house was ALL electric baseboard and fairly large (2300▪︎ft). The electric bills for just the FALL were horrendous and that was just turning the heat on in the morning in the rooms in use just to take the chill off. We love the savings and the warmth of coal. I called my usual supplier today (Cumberland Valley Coal) just to get a price. They quoted me around $389.00/ton delivered...roughly $150.00/ton MORE than last year! I was wondering if anyone is aware of any other suppliers/prices in the Harrisburg area that I can try? I still have around 2 ton from last season...so, I don't currently NEED it as I only use around 3 ton a year (or less). On the other hand, though, I hate to wait too long and have it go up drastically. I also had mini split heat pumps installed since we moved in which REALLY lowered our electric bill in the Summer vs. the window units that we were using to air condition the home...so, I'm half wondering if it's even worth it to continue to use coal as the mini splits seem to be pretty efficient in Summer. I'm sure these are dumb questions but, any insights/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Tue. Sep. 06, 2022 8:32 pm

Shaun,
Sent two phone numbers that might be able to help get some coal and deliver from breakers near you. Check your email here for the numbers.

Greg A.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1958 efm 520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ anthracite

Post by Greg A. » Thu. Sep. 08, 2022 7:39 am

I went and got 8 ton from Superior in the last 2 days. $200 a ton. Long drive for me but they have always been the most reasonably priced. Also, their rice coal has done great in my EFM.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Sep. 08, 2022 8:07 am

Shaun CoalTrain wrote:
Tue. Sep. 06, 2022 5:34 pm
This will be my 4th Winter heating with anthracite. As my house was ALL electric baseboard and fairly large (2300▪︎ft). The electric bills for just the FALL were horrendous and that was just turning the heat on in the morning in the rooms in use just to take the chill off. We love the savings and the warmth of coal. I called my usual supplier today (Cumberland Valley Coal) just to get a price. They quoted me around $389.00/ton delivered...roughly $150.00/ton MORE than last year! I was wondering if anyone is aware of any other suppliers/prices in the Harrisburg area that I can try? I still have around 2 ton from last season...so, I don't currently NEED it as I only use around 3 ton a year (or less). On the other hand, though, I hate to wait too long and have it go up drastically. I also had mini split heat pumps installed since we moved in which REALLY lowered our electric bill in the Summer vs. the window units that we were using to air condition the home...so, I'm half wondering if it's even worth it to continue to use coal as the mini splits seem to be pretty efficient in Summer. I'm sure these are dumb questions but, any insights/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
I am no help with other suppliers, but I can tell you that availability always wins over price. If you can find a better price from another dealer that's good, but if not - you should order what you need from your current supplier. The last thing you want is an exceptionally cold winter and to be out of coal in February. Any coal you have leftover will still be there for next season.

As for the mini-splits, coal will be more economical in cold weather, but in mild weather - the mini-splits will give you very economical heat. I suggest running the mini-splits until the daily temperature is around freezing. It definitely won't break the bank, and it will allow you to save your coal for the nasty weather.

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove

Post by k-2 » Thu. Sep. 08, 2022 2:07 pm

Shaun CoalTrain wrote:
Tue. Sep. 06, 2022 5:34 pm
. I also had mini split heat pumps installed since we moved in which REALLY lowered our electric bill in the Summer vs. the window units that we were using to air condition the home...so, I'm half wondering if it's even worth it to continue to use coal as the mini splits seem to be pretty efficient in Summer.
Those mini splits wont cost much more to heat than the coal specially in the fall and spring.At almost $400 a ton the Minis might be cheaper. I could cut my coal use in half with a mini or 2. Running a coal stove that is idling most of the time in spring and fall is wasteful as well. I think coal will be cheaper next year after the everything shakes out. Lots of people panic buying now and driving up the price. Some folks claiming to have stocked up on a 5 or more yr supply now.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Sep. 08, 2022 3:25 pm

k-2 wrote:
Thu. Sep. 08, 2022 2:07 pm
Lots of people panic buying now and driving up the price. Some folks claiming to have stocked up on a 5 or more yr supply now.
In my own opinion the world market and situation is driving the price up. Some Breakers are keeping their prices more sensible to what we're used to, but they will be having shortages when the rubber meets the road this winter. The little bit of panic buying that's going on for the home heating niche is like peeing in the ocean to raise its level.. But that's my own interpretation based on what I've learned and what I'm seeing..

k-2

Post by k-2 » Thu. Sep. 08, 2022 3:44 pm

Not as many waiting until they are almost out anymore. My coal hauler said most of his customers call when they are scraping dirt. I always fill up for the whole season in Oct. If i wait until there snow on the ground the dump truck wont be able to get near my bin ,id have to carry every pound in a bucket. Supposed to get some for $300 ton delivered tomorrow. Looking for other suppliers as it may be hazardous to only have one source of supply in the future.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Sep. 08, 2022 8:12 pm

Lightning wrote:
Thu. Sep. 08, 2022 3:25 pm
In my own opinion the world market and situation is driving the price up. Some Breakers are keeping their prices more sensible to what we're used to, but they will be having shortages when the rubber meets the road this winter. The little bit of panic buying that's going on for the home heating niche is like peeing in the ocean to raise its level.. But that's my own interpretation based on what I've learned and what I'm seeing..
Plus 1. I totally agree with you. :yes:

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Sep. 08, 2022 9:20 pm

What is million btus worth from a mini?
What is million btus worth from coal?

k-2

Post by k-2 » Fri. Sep. 09, 2022 8:11 am

McGiever wrote:
Thu. Sep. 08, 2022 9:20 pm
What is million btus worth from a mini?
What is million btus worth from coal?
Electric resistance is over $53 so if your mini is 3 times more efficient figure about $17 or so.
GEO at 3.3 rating would be about. $16
About the same as $400 ton coal
Coal at $300 ton is $12 $200 ton is $8

Oil right now in my area is $4.30 gallon or $31 per million btus

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 1:24 pm

A small local operator just told me he usually has 50 to 100 ton of rice on the ground this time of year. Right now now
he has less than 1 ton. Said its hard to get even mine run lately.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 3:53 pm

k-2 wrote:
Fri. Sep. 09, 2022 8:11 am
Electric resistance is over $53 so if your mini is 3 times more efficient figure about $17 or so.
GEO at 3.3 rating would be about. $16
About the same as $400 ton coal.
Coal at $300 ton is $12 $200 ton is $8

Oil right now in my area is $4.30 gallon or $31 per million btus
Geo or GSHPs (ground source heat pump) are now crowding COP of 5 so is $10. and change at your $53./ million.
Coal price better be pretty reasonable at that comparison.

May have to suffer through summer in whole house A/C at greatly reduced cost though. 😉

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 8:36 pm

McGiever wrote:
Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 3:53 pm
Geo or GSHPs (ground source heat pump) are now crowding COP of 5 so is $10. and change at your $53./ million.
Coal price better be pretty reasonable at that comparison.
May have to suffer through summer in whole house A/C at greatly reduced cost though. 😉
My friend had a geo system put in before covid,. Works great ,he says the AC is practically free in summer. Was 15K
then, probably 2 or 3 times that now if you can find a contractor,covid seemed to kill the contractors off. I waited 1 year to get a roof put on. Id love one but limited space where im at.

Shaun CoalTrain
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II Hearth Model
Other Heating: Electric

Post by Shaun CoalTrain » Sun. Sep. 11, 2022 7:25 pm

Thank you ALL for taking the time to respond. Using the calculator available on this site (never noticed it before), I can see that coal still has an edge over electric...though, seems the gap is closing. I will probably just do as suggested and use the mini splits til it's cold cold outside. I must say I am a little disappointed...for whatever reason, I actually ENJOY running the stove. It's just become 2nd nature over the past few years. Get up in the morning...make a cup of coffee...head out back to dump the ashes/fill a bucket, come in and sit by the fire and warm up while I relax and finish the coffee. I even got to the point I can light it on first try every time (took me a while at the beginning)!!! I don't know why i like doing the "work", but I do. Anyway, thanks all for the leads/suggestions/banter.

~Shaun

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Tue. Sep. 13, 2022 8:43 pm

remember u will have 24 hr heat non stop at your discretion so ad that to your thoughts to , take care and good luck.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”