Coal prices South Central Pennsylvania (Harrisburg area)

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Fri. Sep. 16, 2022 7:54 am

My dealer just quoted me $450 ton delivered here in WNY!!! it was prolly about $260 last year. thats too much of an increase for me. I go thru about a ton a month running 2 stoves, might turn the gas furnace on if I have to.....

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove

Post by k-2 » Fri. Sep. 16, 2022 9:32 am

WNY wrote:
Fri. Sep. 16, 2022 7:54 am
My dealer just quoted me $450 ton delivered here in WNY!!! it was prolly about $260 last year. thats too much of an increase for me. I go thru about a ton a month running 2 stoves, might turn the gas furnace on if I have to.....
In my area of Central Pa. Nat gas cost is the same as coal at about $200 a ton. Anything more than that and the coal cost more ,$450 a ton ,a heck of a lot more. Use the gas.

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove

Post by k-2 » Wed. Sep. 21, 2022 2:58 am

Got my last ton so now i at least have enough for the season. Had to haul 2 tons my self this yr which is a pain to get it in the bin manually .

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Wed. Sep. 21, 2022 10:01 pm

At current coal prices and an estimated 65% efficiency of my 50-93, coal is by far the most expensive fuel I have to heat with this year. My propane furnace burns at a confirmed 96.1% combustion efficiency, verified with a testo combustion analyzer that we use at work to set up boilers. I paid 1.60 per gallon in July for propane.My heat pump that i have combined with my propane furnace is a moving target depending on outdoor temps. At 47 degrees ambient it is rated at a 3.98 COP so basically if I put a dollar of electric in, I get 3.98 dollars worth of heat out of that dollar. Of course this number goes down the colder it gets outside. It goes down even more when the defrost cycles start regularly. I usually have it kick over to propane around 35 degrees. I may stretch that a little farther this year depending. Wood will be my cheapest source of heat this year except for my time and roughly 100 dollars in saw and splitter gas, chain sharpening, and fuel to haul the wood. It’s pretty sad that our local anthracite mines have chosen to export our natural resources over seas to countries that mock us, resulting in the citizens of this country eating the price increases and not having the additional mineral resources going forward because they were sent overseas.

Shikellamy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nut (bagged)
Other Heating: Shivering; a forest of dead Ash

Post by Shikellamy » Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 11:38 pm

Shaun, any updates? Was Snuffy's contact good? I'm just outside on I78 and looking for bagged nut. $5.60/bag last year, don't wanna know the current price!

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”