Coal Bin to Hopper Auger

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
GeorgiePorgie
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska, Harman, Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: Stoker

Post Mon. Oct. 11, 2010 1:15 pm

I have my Auger working well, so far one minor jam, which I caused just for testing to see how easy it was to unjam, The cooler you see in the video is a 100 Qts Coleman, I was able to fill it up in 8 minutes.

The one advantage of this system , is the fact that you can take the entire auger out of the bin, without touching the coal, I just tried it, to show a maintenance guy how it's done, just in case I am not around. The pressure on the auger caused by the weight of the coal is also adjustable, as it turned out, the coal bin holds about 8 tons.

There are many areas to improve on.

But here is the current list.

1: The power to the auger motor will be fed using relays
2: if the auger stops turning, the power shuts off in few seconds
3: A forward/reverse switch will be available to unjam the auger, in case of any binding
4: An oil drip system will be available as an option, to drop used transfat liquid ( which in essence is free ) to minimize dust, and for lubrication.
5:Powering the auger will be done by either a timer, on/off switch, or push buttons.
6:Couple of indicator lights

If you guys think of something extra, let me know.

dave brode
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-2
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: used to have a 5 section Red Square
Coal Size/Type: rice anthracite

Post Mon. Oct. 11, 2010 5:11 pm

For future searches;

Here are links showing my auger. Not a flex auger, but it might give you some ideas;

Bin to Hopper Grain Auger 30* up < Pics
COAL BIN Pics [page 39] - shows lower mounts

Not shown is the cover on the Kaa-2's hopper, with flex hose connecting it to the auger outlet snout. I'm still working on the boiler install, but I have tested the auger.

As most grain augers turn fast, I reduced the speed to apx 30 rpm. It was suggested that a fast auger speed would work well, but I was concerned about dust, as well as auger life, so I went with slow. The grain augers aren't made very "heavy". The flighting on mine is probably 18 ga, and the center tube is 16ga.

I believe that 45 degrees up would be doable. The gear reduction boxes are common on ebay.

Dave
I love my Kaa-2. It replaced a small 5 section Red Square, and Iron Fireman, burned bituminous for 20 yr.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: BairMatic BMC-500 with Van Wert VA400 Stoker, Gentleman Janitor GJ-671/EFM S-15 stoker, Van Wert VA-600
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post Sat. Apr. 04, 2015 9:41 am

Reviving this thread. There is some very good info on coal augers in this thread including different types, Helical, Grain Screw. Also a few places to buy augers. I will add that my Westfeild Grain Auger driven with a Yellow Flame 1765:1 gearbox and 1725 RPM motor, is alive and well. This system Delivers coal at a very slightly higher rate than the stoker burns it. That means I don't have to fill the hopper anymore!

There is one problem with my set up, It is difficult to keep coal over the auger inlet do to my coal bin design. I hope to correct that over the next few months.
LoschCleanUp 001.JPG
YFfillUp20150302 005.JPG
Here is a neat video of a very interesting and very large coal moving auger. Not recomended for home use.

So, start planning next seasons auger project now!

-Don
Last edited by StokerDon on Sat. Apr. 04, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved by lighting something on fire.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: BairMatic BMC-500 with Van Wert VA400 Stoker, Gentleman Janitor GJ-671/EFM S-15 stoker, Van Wert VA-600
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post Sat. Apr. 04, 2015 4:34 pm

Sorry, I posted the wrong utube video link above. This is the correct one.

-Don
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved by lighting something on fire.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”