Coal Bin to Hopper Auger

GeorgiePorgie

Post by GeorgiePorgie » Mon. Oct. 11, 2010 1:15 pm

I have my Auger working well, so far one minor jam, which I caused just for testing to see how easy it was to unjam, The cooler you see in the video is a 100 Qts Coleman, I was able to fill it up in 8 minutes.

The one advantage of this system , is the fact that you can take the entire auger out of the bin, without touching the coal, I just tried it, to show a maintenance guy how it's done, just in case I am not around. The pressure on the auger caused by the weight of the coal is also adjustable, as it turned out, the coal bin holds about 8 tons.

There are many areas to improve on.

But here is the current list.

1: The power to the auger motor will be fed using relays
2: if the auger stops turning, the power shuts off in few seconds
3: A forward/reverse switch will be available to unjam the auger, in case of any binding
4: An oil drip system will be available as an option, to drop used transfat liquid ( which in essence is free ) to minimize dust, and for lubrication.
5:Powering the auger will be done by either a timer, on/off switch, or push buttons.
6:Couple of indicator lights

If you guys think of something extra, let me know.

dave brode
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-2
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: used to have a 5 section Red Square
Coal Size/Type: rice anthracite

Post by dave brode » Mon. Oct. 11, 2010 5:11 pm

For future searches;

Here are links showing my auger. Not a flex auger, but it might give you some ideas;

Bin to Hopper Grain Auger 30* up < Pics
COAL BIN Pics [page 39] - shows lower mounts

Not shown is the cover on the Kaa-2's hopper, with flex hose connecting it to the auger outlet snout. I'm still working on the boiler install, but I have tested the auger.

As most grain augers turn fast, I reduced the speed to apx 30 rpm. It was suggested that a fast auger speed would work well, but I was concerned about dust, as well as auger life, so I went with slow. The grain augers aren't made very "heavy". The flighting on mine is probably 18 ga, and the center tube is 16ga.

I believe that 45 degrees up would be doable. The gear reduction boxes are common on ebay.

Dave

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Apr. 04, 2015 9:41 am

Reviving this thread. There is some very good info on coal augers in this thread including different types, Helical, Grain Screw. Also a few places to buy augers. I will add that my Westfeild Grain Auger driven with a Yellow Flame 1765:1 gearbox and 1725 RPM motor, is alive and well. This system Delivers coal at a very slightly higher rate than the stoker burns it. That means I don't have to fill the hopper anymore!

There is one problem with my set up, It is difficult to keep coal over the auger inlet do to my coal bin design. I hope to correct that over the next few months.
LoschCleanUp 001.JPG
.JPG | 139.3KB | LoschCleanUp 001.JPG
YFfillUp20150302 005.JPG
.JPG | 168.3KB | YFfillUp20150302 005.JPG
Here is a neat video of a very interesting and very large coal moving auger. Not recomended for home use.

So, start planning next seasons auger project now!

-Don
Last edited by StokerDon on Sat. Apr. 04, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Apr. 04, 2015 4:34 pm

Sorry, I posted the wrong utube video link above. This is the correct one.

-Don

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”