WILL-BURT MODEL 34170 FIREPOT TIMER

kcarr
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA-600 Custom & Probably the only guy in America with my Stoker Boiler in my Den.
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil as back up, mostly used for summer domestic hot water

Post by kcarr » Fri. Apr. 01, 2022 9:13 am

Good Morning fellow coal burners!
Does anyone know where I can buy a new firepot timer, WILL BURT 34170.
It is for the EFM Forced Air Stoker Furnace AF-150. I am pretty sure this
EFM unit is again out of production but in 2006 - 2012 they brought it back
into production for awhile. Our unit was installed in 2012 and has been running great
with no problems...but in recent weeks the timer unit has gone
intermittent and just tuckered out. Where can I get a new one ??
Ken

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Apr. 02, 2022 12:28 pm

Hi Ken,
This must be for a friend of yours. We know that you have a boiler. 😉

Don’t think that Will Burt timers are being manufactured any longer.

That Will Burt 34170 was one of the very best built timers out there.

Before you give up on it try a toothpick loaded with sewing machine oil or equal on the motor shaft and gear axels if you are curious to find it just needs some TLC. 🙂
NEVER OVER OIL…attracts dust and makes things worse.

ZOOM SPOUT turbine oil

BOTTOM LINE:
Most Any repeat or cycle timer can be substituted. Need check the interval cycle matches and that the contacts amp rating is generous.

kcarr
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA-600 Custom & Probably the only guy in America with my Stoker Boiler in my Den.
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil as back up, mostly used for summer domestic hot water

Post by kcarr » Sun. Apr. 10, 2022 6:41 pm

Hi Larry,
I found the problem was in the WILL-BURT 34170 Holdfire timer. The relay / contactor was worn out. Once I was able to drill out the rivets and open it up... contacts were just about charcoal. SO I guess relay/contactor should be replaced about every seven/eight years. With a new relay, now everything working perfect.

WILL-BURT sold their stoker business to JonMar Gear & Machine Inc. Larry the owner told me equipment and parts, including the 34170 timer are readily available from them. He was very helpful.

Good memory Larry, you're right I do have a Van Wert VA-600 stoker, The EFM AF-150 belongs to my brother 20 miles away in suburban Philadelphia. He heats his cardboard canyon of a house with the EFM and saves a bundle by burning 7 tons of rice coal instead of the primary propane heat...and the house is much warmer with Coal vs. Propane.
Ken

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Apr. 10, 2022 9:46 pm

Good Ken, you got your brother out of jam there.
Sounds like you had to do a bit of surgery to get that timer back in service but you sure were up for that with replacing the relay.
Will Burt built the Combustioneer hot air stoker furnace. Owners of Combustioneers sure should be glad to know that there are still parts out there.
Did you happen to get the price on that 34170 timer? Bet that is a hefty priced item new.
I bought and sold a used Keystoker AF-150 like your brother’s some years back. Those break down and are not to bad moving around. Not like the Keystoker K-6 boiler stripped down 900 pound vessel that I raised out of a basement indoors staircase and out the kitchen door another time.

Maybe there will be another Meet n Greet and we can gather with forum members to share some good memories.

Take care Ken,

McGiever
Larry

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”