Need Help Selecting Furnace, Boiler, Brand

CoalInNH

Post by CoalInNH » Fri. Aug. 15, 2008 1:33 pm

Hi,
I am trying to add a wood/coal boiler or furnace to my existing oil forced hot air furnace. I am trying to decide whether I should use a warm air furnace or a boiler with a heat exchanger in the plenum for my existing ductwork. I would like to heat hot water as well, and most furnaces or boilers seem to have a water coil available. My problems are twofold. Cost and the flue. I only have one flue (8") coming from my basement. The existing oil furnace uses a 6" flue. Can I connect the two? I want to use the oil furnace only when the coal/wood furnace is not operating, or to assist if the coal/wood cannot keep up with the demand. So the potential for them both running at the same time exists. Second, I am almost positive the answer to this next question is no, but are there any coal stokers that will accept wood? Lastly, the models I have been looking at are the Harman SF2500A (furnace) and the Harman SF 2600 (boiler). There are two problems with these models, I cannot order until spring and the prices $3k and up. I wanted to get something in before winter. Last year I was forced to use 2 unlined circa 1880's fireplaces in the old farmhouse because oil was over the top. Currently $4.29 a gallon for #2. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Aug. 15, 2008 2:17 pm

CoalInNH wrote:I only have one flue (8") coming from my basement. The existing oil furnace uses a 6" flue. Can I connect the two?
I beleive its against code, shouldn't be done etc however I have seen many people do it. I'm NOT recommending it.

What a lot of people are doing is getting a power vent and hooking the oil to the power vent.
CoalInNH wrote:Second, I am almost positive the answer to this next question is no, but are there any coal stokers that will accept wood?
No because a stoker is mechanical. It's two completely different type of burning. While on the topic be careful about purchasing wood/coal combos. Very few of them work correctly with coal. As the saying goes you can burn wood in coal stove but you can't burn coal in a wood stove. Many of the cheaper combos are simply not as suitable for burning coal. They turned a wood stove into a coal stove when it should be the other way around.Other than the Harman the only other one I would consider is the EFM. I'm basing my recommendation for the EFM strictly on their reputation and history of making coal fired products for better than half a century. :D

The efm WCB-24 hand fired wood/coal boiler
CoalInNH wrote:There are two problems with these models, I cannot order until spring and the prices $3k and up. I wanted to get something in before winter.
As of right now nearly every coal boiler manufacturer has a pretty long waiting list, its the same thing with the warm air stokers and even hand fired stoves.

CoalInNH

Post by CoalInNH » Fri. Aug. 15, 2008 2:26 pm

Thank you for the responses, they were very helpful.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Fri. Aug. 15, 2008 3:08 pm

Using a fireplace is actually going to cost you heat and money. Unless you have a wood burning insert in the fireplace.. The amount of heat given off is minimal, but the amount of heat being pulled up the chimney of a typical fireplace is huge,, AND the cold air being pulled in around windows, doors, foundation gaps etc is makeing your house colder, not warmer..

My recommendation is to find some kind of coal burning appliance.. if you have free wood, get a wood burning appliance.. any form of heater that can be made to safely use the fireplace chimney for it's exhaust.. Use this or these appliances to get through this winter, and plan on getting your 'master plan' for a boiler or furnace going next spring.

ANY form of alternative fuel burning appliance will help you supplement your heating needs and save you some money.

Keep an eye on your local papers, http://www.ebay.com http://papershop.com/ http://www.craigslist.com

Hope this helps.
Greg L

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Fri. Aug. 15, 2008 3:58 pm

I agree with Gregs advice but would just like to add that once you have a coal stoker installed, you won't need that oil furnace. (unless you go on vacation in winter). A properly sized and installed coal stoker boiler will be more than adequate to all your heating and hot water needs. Look for a god used one.. They do pop up from time to time.

CoalInNH

Post by CoalInNH » Mon. Aug. 18, 2008 7:45 am

Thanks again to all.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”