Leisure Line Hearth or Alaska Hearth Model?

majortom6x

Post by majortom6x » Thu. Aug. 14, 2008 6:42 pm

About to purchase one of the two above hearth models. Very close in price and delivery time(Sept/Oct). The Alaska will have cast iron top option & soapstone panels.
Saw an older model Alaska and looks nice. Have not seen a Leisure Line Hearth other than pics. My fireplace opening is 35-1/2 W x 28-1/2 H. My hearth floor is 24 inches.
Here are my questions.
Will I be able to get the barometric damper on either model?
Does leisure line blow the heat out from under the front top lid similiar to the Alaska?
Any opnions on which stove looks better and build quality?
Any opinions on coaltrol vs Alaska contols?

I researched the Leisure Line for availability and found best deal/only deal close to my home(within 60 miles). However I can't find a listing of Alaska dealers at their website and belive I can find a little better deal.
I live in Western Mass area (50 miles from Albany NY). Any one know of dealers in New England area &/orAlbany New York area trhat may stock an Alaska Hearth?

Given the stoves are equally priced any thoughts on which is the better stove performance wise?

Any other usefull opions are appeciated.

Thanks
Mike

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Aug. 14, 2008 6:45 pm

I'd lean towards the Leisure Line because you can speak directly to the owner right here on the forum.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. Aug. 14, 2008 6:47 pm

If the stove has a bottom vent, then there should be room to mount a barometric damper in the vertical flue pipe before it goes through the fireplace damper.

Both stoves vent hot air from under the top. What looks best is really personal prefference.. I like the Leisure Line products for their Coal Trol thermostat/stoker controler.. and the wonderful service the factory and the dealers provide.

Greg L

ScottD

Post by ScottD » Thu. Aug. 14, 2008 7:33 pm

I believe it's personal preference on looks. Both are great stoves. My Alaska has a vent box built into the rear of the stove with 2 - 6" openings. One on top is for the vent and one on side is for the baro. If you want info on an Alaska, you have to call them from the number on the web site. Not a very well set up site at all and pictures are awful IMO. The things I do like about my Alaska is that it covers the entire fireplace opening for a clean look and the hopper is kind of hidden in the side also for a clean look. On the other hand, Coal-Trol rocks!
Scott

coal nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93

Post by coal nut » Tue. Aug. 19, 2008 5:30 pm

CSM in Monson MA. has Alaska's. 413 267-4334 I picked up a Channing a month ago. I think they had the Hearth and Kast models there at the time.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”