Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Jan. 29, 2022 4:09 pm

Crazyfarmer wrote:
Sat. Jan. 29, 2022 10:07 am
It’s Lehigh valley anthracite coal. Yup as soon as I get some extra money I’m gonna pick some up I was doing a mix of rice and buck I should’ve went straight rice . I would still like to know what blower I could upgrade to that has the square flange so I could get more CFM. Thanks for the reply
Why do you need more cfm?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Jan. 29, 2022 4:11 pm

Also, make sure the gaskets UNDER the grate are good and it seals good, that could cause air leaks.

With Buckwheat, you usually have to adjust the combustion air, I think reduce it some? with Buckwheat since it has larger air gaps. Also, you don't want to increase too much air flow (CFM) and fuse the coal together for clinkers.

I have never run buck in my LL stove, and only a 50/50 mix in my keystoker in the past. due to some clinkers forming running really hot. i get some smaller ones now, but nothing major at all. a little coal "cakes" here and there but not big clinkers.

sounds like you are getting closer to a good burning.

Crazyfarmer
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Eagle foundry company BELLEVille Illinois 42L 16

Post by Crazyfarmer » Sat. Jan. 29, 2022 6:08 pm

I thought I would want more CFM with bigger coal. But I’m still learning and mad at Leisure Line is the one that told me to burn buck. I should switch back to rice coal to see if that’s my problem. In the beginning I wasn’t turning my feed rate up past what factory settings are but still have yet to have hot coals fall off the grate . And yes I double checked the gasket in the back I never seen or heard of a gasket underneath and I looked for air leaks nothing I could find with my hand. Unless there’s some thing I missing or some thing after this unit is running is expanding and you can’t find it when the stove is cold. Like I said I’m still making baby steps forward. Just seems to me a lot of cake in on burn coal in the ash bin.

Crazyfarmer

Post by Crazyfarmer » Sat. Jan. 29, 2022 6:11 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Sat. Jan. 29, 2022 4:09 pm
Why do you need more cfm?
Because that’s what’s on the newer Pocono. And I have a Lot of unburnt coal not going to ash. So in theory I’m thinking more CFM the coal will burn up more?

xackley

Post by xackley » Sat. Jan. 29, 2022 8:13 pm

my 2007 90k btu pocono did not come with a gasket under the grate. Just a gasket across the back where the coal comes in.

Years ago I put this fan into my shopping cart, but never made the move. I have no idea if it was a good choice, but remember wondering if more air flow would improve performance.
Dayton 1TDN5 Blower, 53 CFM, 115V, 0.30 Amp, 3388 RPM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DSMEJM2/ref= ... IRPZ&psc=1
For some reason the link to the product on amazon is not appearing in the post??????????

My experiments with buck sucked.

Crazyfarmer

Post by Crazyfarmer » Sat. Jan. 29, 2022 8:41 pm

Yep I wish I knew that I am almost through my second pallet the more I push it I’m at 80% the colder the stove gets when it’s warm outside the star is averaging 375 to 400° Now it’s cold out I need heat I’m running it at 79 and it’s averaging 300 to 320° It seems like if I push it less heat out of the unit thanks for the link at least they have a direction to go. I’ll be looking on other sites for that one!

Crazyfarmer

Post by Crazyfarmer » Mon. Jan. 31, 2022 9:31 pm

Update! Well the bad news coal just jump $50 a ton in my area. But now the good I picked up a ton of rice today. And I finally woke a monster. I don’t know why I was told to burn buck. Got one heck of a flame now I’m over shooting lots of heat! This is what I intended the product to do now I just I have to get it dialed in it’s like finally breaking in a race car motor! No more baby steps big leaps today. This stove might actually do what it supposed to do.

Attachments

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Feb. 03, 2022 8:44 pm

I'm not going to say I told you so, I'm glad it's cranking out some heat. Being cold sucks. Update on how well it's doing in a day or so.

Crazyfarmer

Post by Crazyfarmer » Thu. Feb. 03, 2022 10:16 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Thu. Feb. 03, 2022 8:44 pm
I'm not going to say I told you so, I'm glad it's cranking out some heat. Being cold sucks. Update on how well it's doing in a day or so.
Thanks

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Fri. Feb. 04, 2022 11:41 am

That's more like it! Now,how much Buck do you have on hand? Before you go dialing the stove down,you could go through the pain in the ass of making a 50/50 custom mix of rice and buck to see how it performs. It would have to be mixed well to get the blended effect. In theory(Oh Yeah,Trust Dat' Science!🤯) it should work,and it should allow you to use up that Buck while stretching your 1 ton of recently aquired Rice!

Crazyfarmer

Post by Crazyfarmer » Fri. Feb. 04, 2022 6:39 pm

Hambden Bob wrote:
Fri. Feb. 04, 2022 11:41 am
That's more like it! Now,how much Buck do you have on hand? Before you go dialing the stove down,you could go through the pain in the ass of making a 50/50 custom mix of rice and buck to see how it performs. It would have to be mixed well to get the blended effect. In theory(Oh Yeah,Trust Dat' Science!🤯) it should work,and it should allow you to use up that Buck while stretching your 1 ton of recently aquired Rice!
I tried that mix or a mix with the rice and buckwheat Same problems I had a long the line I’m gonna see how much the last rice I burn. I smoke through buckwheat over a ton in less than a month

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Feb. 05, 2022 9:13 am

Good Show! It's always a solid "No" if you don't try. Your Mission is Clear! Burn Rice,Stay Warm! When this Burn Season is over,sqare everything going forward,do your shutdown maintenance and flue cleanout for flyash,and you're "Good To Go"! Stock up on Da' Rice,and you've pulled off a "Hat Trick" for 22'-23'. Stay Loose,Hang Tough!

Crazyfarmer

Post by Crazyfarmer » Sat. Feb. 05, 2022 9:52 am

Hambden Bob wrote:
Sat. Feb. 05, 2022 9:13 am
Good Show! It's always a solid "No" if you don't try. Your Mission is Clear! Burn Rice,Stay Warm! When this Burn Season is over,sqare everything going forward,do your shutdown maintenance and flue cleanout for flyash,and you're "Good To Go"! Stock up on Da' Rice,and you've pulled off a "Hat Trick" for 22'-23'. Stay Loose,Hang Tough!
Thank you sir!!!!

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”