Coaltrol turning down at night?

Soccer918843

Post by Soccer918843 » Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 10:49 am

Hi I have a hitzer 608 and I’ve been turning down at night to 66 and back up to 74 in the morning but I’m Wondering if I save anything by turning it down and then using all the coal to get back up to temp this morning it was 90 degrees in the room the stove is in and took about 2 hours to level out to the 74 degree temp. Wondering if I’m better off just leaving it 74 all night or closer to it. Thanks

ejm77
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hitzer 608
Other Heating: Buderus propane boiler

Post by ejm77 » Wed. Jan. 26, 2022 11:34 am

I have the same stove and I experienced the same thing. Coal just reacts too slow for that large an adjustment in temp. I leave mine set at 72 all the time and this works much better in my opinion. If you really want to set it back only go two or three degrees and see how it goes.

Eab91276
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Propane Insert; Heat Pump

Post by Eab91276 » Wed. Jan. 26, 2022 9:42 pm

I have a Keystoker hooked to a digital thermostat on the first floor. The stoker is in the basement tied into the ductwork. I’ve played around with lowering the temp when we leave for work/school in the morning and then firing it back up when we get home. I’ve found it doesn’t make much of a difference in saving coal. Basically you get that overshoot of temp until the thermostat is satisfied because you have all of this coal on the grate that has to burn down. There was a post a few years ago and we discussed the same thing. The last few years I just keep it set at 71 all winter and let it ride.

Badog

Post by Badog » Thu. Jan. 27, 2022 8:04 am

I actually do the opposite. I turn it up 1 degree in the late afternoon because the sun hits my house and warms it up then when it sets and the temperature outside and inside drops. It takes a while for the fire to catch up.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Thu. Jan. 27, 2022 11:10 pm

My Keystoker 90 is in the basement family room. Half the basement is insulated and the other half is not or it is minimal. I have the Coal-trol in the room with the stove. Upstairs I have the thermostat hooked up to a RIB (Relay in a Box) which controls a fan that takes air off the top of the stove and supplies the bedrooms. I have my Coal-trol setup with the HLF (heat loss factor) set to 1 so the stove responds a little more aggressive with a temperature change in the family room.
Now as far as setbacks this is what I do in milder weather say anything over low 20's or single digits. I run the family room at about 74 during daytime and setback to 72 say at 10PM then at 2 Am I set it to run to 78 till 7AM and then back to 73 or 74 for the morning. The big run during the nite sets the stove up to have a good amount of heat when upstairs calls for heat in the morning.
When temps dip below teens or less I just set it up to hold at 75 or 76 and just let her run.
We are home all day and recently retired so warmth is a good thing.
I like the HLF setting as it may have the stove overshoot a bit but it performs a little better to our liking. HLF is in advanced settings.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”