Alaska stoker 2 blower died

boxerbabee71

Post by boxerbabee71 » Sun. Jan. 23, 2022 10:08 am

I am so happy I found this board again. I prbly joined 10 years ago when I had my keystrokes. Right now I have an alaska stoker 2 with an upgraded blower. Of course it's the coldest it's been in Pennsylvania and yesterday not only did my oil furnace kick for some reason, my blower went on the stoker and the stores here aren't opened until TUESDAY. Was hoping someone may have an extra blower to sell me or know of a place I can get one within a reasonable distance from the Wilkes Barre area. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Badog

Post by Badog » Sun. Jan. 23, 2022 10:18 am

Did you try Forrest Inn Masonry supply in Forrest Inn near Lehighton? I just got a convection blower their a on a Monday. The main Alaska store in Bloomsburg is also open on Mondays.

Badog

Post by Badog » Sun. Jan. 23, 2022 10:23 am

KC coal in Alburtis Pa near Allentown is opened until 3 pm today. (610) 966-3556 they may have one. They are closed Monday and not listed as a dealer on the Alaska site but they are one.

stokerstove
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kodiak Stokerstove 1

Post by stokerstove » Sun. Jan. 30, 2022 9:24 am

Hope you found a blower and are keeping warm.

My Alaska stove is the primary source of heat for us for over 30 years. When I made the decision to heat with this stove I replaced most of the blowers, motors, grate, etc. and kept the, still useable, parts as spares. I have every wear part for the stove on hand because, as you found out, they usually go bad at the worst time.

Next season I will replace some main parts, as they have been is service for years now, even though they still work. If taken care of they are reliable units.

Don't forget to plan for a power outage too with a battery backup system or generator.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sun. Jan. 30, 2022 11:01 am

Stokerstove wrote "Don't forget to plan for a power outage too with a battery backup system or generator."

Agreed, I run an APC 1500 UPS in case of power outages, and it gives me at least 30 minutes of power so I have time to start the Champion Inverter suitcase style genset. If power is going to be out long I pull out the Honda EM5000SX.

Badog

Post by Badog » Sun. Jan. 30, 2022 3:24 pm

Same here. 13 years as primary heat. Heat pump for the shoulder months. I have a backup inverter with a 75 ah battery, generator and I have a spare combustion fan that I bought years ago when mine made a noise that magically stopped after I got the replacement. Of course the feeder motor that I did not have a spare for was the thing that failed. 🤨
PPL is very unreliable and I have gone through several outages from a strong breeze to ice storms and Sandy and stayed nice and warm.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Jan. 30, 2022 10:04 pm

Did you find one ? I have some spare Alaska parts in Kingston.

Paulie

Badog

Post by Badog » Mon. Jan. 31, 2022 9:46 am

Yes thanks. I was just referring to the irony of having a failure of the part I did not have. Still have a brand new combustion fan I bought 4 years ago to replace the noisy one that stopped making noise.

leoman584

Post by leoman584 » Tue. Feb. 01, 2022 12:05 pm

I have an old 400 cfm that I pulled off a Reading stove.
Not sure if it will mate with your Alaska or if it has enough punch to move air, but I'd be willing to part with it

Shaun CoalTrain
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II Hearth Model
Other Heating: Electric

Post by Shaun CoalTrain » Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 2:35 pm

Haha...my blower just crapped out, too. Luckily, it was at the end of the season! I bought one from Jono Ace Hardware in Jonestown, which is the only Alaska Stove dealer anywhere near south central PA (that I know of). Anyhow, they didn't have one in stocks, so they actually removed one from a brand new stove they had on their showroom floor. I have the Kast Konsole hearth model. It has a 265 cfm blower. My question for you all (for next time or to have a spare on hand) is there a bigger blower that could be installed that would push/distribute even more warm air? Would this even work? Would it even be worth doing? 🤔

bustedwing
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: LL Pioneer
Other Heating: Hot air oil

Post by bustedwing » Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 10:19 am

when my blower motor crapped out i put a 20 inch fan behind the stove on high speed until i could get another, didn't want to pay the high price for an oem motor so got a single speed that bolted right up and leave it plugged into the wall fulltime, seems quieter too

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”