Consistent house temp

Jcsedrn2
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Legacy Super Magnum
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Jcsedrn2 » Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 4:34 pm

New to burning coal. I have a Legacy super mag stoker. It is set up in basement with room temp prob run to main floor centrally located in house. Stove doesn’t seem to hold temp consistently with what settings on stoker are. I have it set about half way between 70° and 75°. Temps above 20° stove seems to heat well using central air circulation fan to move air around house. With cold air return choked down so it draws most the air from basement. I have also tried useing a small fan to blow air up from basement and not use central air system. I also cut floor vents in the bedrooms 4x12. Either way seems to heat well above out door temp of 20° once below house living area temp drops into 66-69° range. Any help would be appreciated. Feed rate just above 1, room temp fan in high, temp selector between 70° and 75°

Jcsedrn2

Post by Jcsedrn2 » Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 6:16 pm

I’m thinking about just running 6” duct out the top vent and up to living area. Then heat is straight up to living area and not worry about getting the air to flow with fans and central air in circulation mode.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 8:40 pm

Nothin ventured, nothin gained J. :) Keep us posted--pix help.

Jcsedrn2

Post by Jcsedrn2 » Thu. Jan. 13, 2022 5:56 pm

Does any one know what the CFM rating on the super mag distribution fan is?

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Fri. Jan. 14, 2022 9:25 am

The more you draw Air from the rooms into the return, the more warm air will replace it.

If you have return open in basement and blow heated air near it, you'll have a warm basement as it will circulate more air their instead of the rest of the house.

Pulling is more effective than pushing, so try closing basement supply and return vents and see if the house gets warmer.

Supply air is usually 80-120F. Remember, it must be warmer than the room to give it heat

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Mon. Jan. 17, 2022 5:04 pm

What you want to do is add a LARGE 10” or bigger supply duct to your central system in the basement and drop it to floor level. Put a damper in it for summertime ac usage. Close all or most of your supply registers upstairs but leave ALL of the floor returns open. Run the system fan. It will suck the cold heavy air off of your floors and blow it onto the floor in your basement. All of the displaced air in your basement now needs somewhere to go. The cold heavy air is going to stay low and gravitate towards the heat source and the hot light air is going to float right up your basement steps into your house where u want it. This is how I have my setup on my 50-93. I hang a light sweatshirt at the top of my stairs on a hook and you can actually see it moving from the air coming up the steps. Trying to force warm air to move is fruitless. Move the cold air and your golden.

If you really want to get fancy. I rigged up a “thermostat in my basement along with a relay and set it for cooling. I set my upstairs thermostat for heat. When it gets cool upstairs the thermostat calls for heat which gets diverted with the relay downstairs by the stat calling for ac and it kicks the furnace blower on. Once it’s warm enough upstairs everything shuts down. If stove burns out the ac thermostat downstairs satisfies and drops out the relay. The next call for heat from upstairs thermostat will kick on actual furnace burners. Sounds complicated but really isn’t and works like a charm

Jcsedrn2

Post by Jcsedrn2 » Mon. Jan. 17, 2022 5:17 pm

Put a duct off top of stove in the knock out where it’s made for it ran duct to central area of house house now 70-74° no matter what outside temp is

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”