Alaska 140 set up.

sitdwnandhngon
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker II

Post by sitdwnandhngon » Tue. Jan. 11, 2022 7:07 pm

I've been using an Alaska Stoker II with a duct collar for a few years, it does okay...until the temperature gets down below 15-20 degrees....then it just can't keep up.

Today I picked up an used Alaska 140 dual feed to replace it. I gave it a good inspection before bringing it home, fire box is in good shape, grates look brand new. The lady said after losing her husband she just didn't want to deal with it anymore.

I have it mostly apart right now to give it a full cleaning and change out the gaskets, but I was wondering if anyone had any guidance on how the controllers work.

My Stoker has everything wired into a J box, so one plug turns it on, and feed speed is controlled by the screw behind the carpet thing. The 140 has paddles instead of a carpet, and three controllers.

There is a blue box that says Vari-Speed, then two more with numbered dials that plug into each box for the feeds.

There is also a thermostat on the plenum that goes between the blue controller and the blower, I assume that just kicks the blower on and off in intervals.

For my install I want to eliminate the thermostat and just run the blower full time like my current stove.

The instructions that came with it aren't very good, but here's what I'm assuming, correct me if I'm wrong please.

The blue box will control blower speed with the dial, and the two feed dials should control feed speed of the paddles correct?

When I did a quick test of the black dial boxes, it didn't appear to change the speed of the paddles, but it was just a quick test to make sure things worked when I plugged them in.

LTStorm07
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1980 EFM DF520
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Heat pump / Propane

Post by LTStorm07 » Tue. Jan. 11, 2022 7:18 pm

Good evening,
Please take a look at either of these two posts for more details.
alaska 140 thermostat feeder
Alaska 140 Paddle Wiring & Controls
New and Need Help Alaska 140 Dual Feed ?'S

These threads have quite a bit of information as well as the manual for the 140. The bottom control knob is the idle fire setting, the top knob is the high fire setting. Unless there is a call for heat, it will only run off the lower knob, but one there is a thermostat call for heat, it'll trigger the high fire rate. The blower you can run full time just plugging it into the wall directly.
There is also a thermostat on the plenum that goes between the blue controller and the blower, I assume that just kicks the blower on and off in intervals.
That's correct!

I believe you have a triburner setup with your stoker II which is the prior to the newer style paddle feeders like the Alaska. You could probably set the idle knob to the max setting to make it run like your older stoker, but it's nice being able to actually tell it to go from idle to full fire wire a thermostat on the wall.....

sitdwnandhngon

Post by sitdwnandhngon » Tue. Jan. 11, 2022 7:43 pm

I don't have the dual controller set up. Each J-box for the feed and combustion fan has it's own plug for an individual box.

This is a picture I found of what this one came with, two of these.
s-l1600.jpg
.JPG | 421.7KB | s-l1600.jpg

sitdwnandhngon

Post by sitdwnandhngon » Tue. Jan. 11, 2022 7:57 pm

So I thumbed through the paperwork that came with it again.

Looks like the 1-5 controller is just to set feed speed for each grate individually, the only place it shows a multi plug adapter is coming from the blue rheostat box to the power supply for the feed boxes.

I'll experiment with it tomorrow before get it set up, kind of a dry run.

Do the paddle feeds just go at the same speed, but with delays, rather than what I'm used to with the carpet?

I have to make sure I have a good understanding of it before i piece everything together, as it's really cold out and everyone gets home by 5pm, so I want it all set up and ready, and all I have to do is hook up my duct work and cold air return.

LTStorm07

Post by LTStorm07 » Tue. Jan. 11, 2022 8:08 pm

Okay so yes you have the control setup that was after triburners but before the idle / high fire control. It's basically rheostat for the paddle feeders delay. Set your feed rate based on the dial. If you want max output set it until it has an inch or so of ash from the edge.

sitdwnandhngon

Post by sitdwnandhngon » Tue. Jan. 11, 2022 8:11 pm

As far as the blue vari-speed box goes, that one should control fan speed correct?

Basically, if its 50 degrees out, either both burners or one burner going with the boxes down to 1, and the blower fan speed at low-medium.

If it's a polar vortex, both boxes at 4-5 and blower fan up much higher to really get some heat pumping upstairs.

Just like anything, I'm sure there's a learning curve. Took me some time to figure out the other one, but that basically just has 4 settings with the screw on the back, and I go up or down depending on what we need that day.

sitdwnandhngon

Post by sitdwnandhngon » Tue. Jan. 11, 2022 8:12 pm

Also, these units use rice coal just fine right?

It looked like the previous owner was using pea coal.

LTStorm07

Post by LTStorm07 » Tue. Jan. 11, 2022 8:28 pm

sitdwnandhngon wrote:
Tue. Jan. 11, 2022 8:12 pm
Also, these units use rice coal just fine right?

It looked like the previous owner was using pea coal.
:o :o :o :o
Rice coal only as anything larger could result in a hopper fire. Sometimes you could mix a little buck in as I know some people who did this, but you still run the risk. There is nothing sealing the paddles off from the hopper so too much draft air flow pulled through the hopper and the fire will follow back. This is also why there is a fairly tight fitting lid on the hopper.

The blue box will control the blower speed when it is triggered to turn on. The thermostat you mentioned between the blue box and the blower is heat activated so if you want it running constantly at full speed, just plug the blower into the wall directly, or if you want to dial it down, bypass the thermostat box.

Regarding the settings, the 140 can put out a ton of heat. 175k BTU with both paddles feeding. Single feed is enough for many average homes, dual feed is crazy with it's heating abilities. In my old home I would only have to light the 2nd feed once it was going to be single digits, but once lit, it actually idled back quite a bit since the home's required btu load on it was not much over what a single feed net output was. This was a 1950s cape cod home with 2000sq ft. I use to joke that when you light the 2nd feeder, get out the hotdogs and marshmallows for a roast on your air supply vents :yes: . It can be dialed way back, but start with something like 3.5 or so minimum and go from there. My 140 on a coaltrol I could idle down to next to nothing, literally about snuff it out on it's own.

Forgot to mention I have an Alaska Stoker II in my shop like you have. A single paddle feed of the Alaska 140 actually has more BTU capacity than the Stoker II.
Last edited by LTStorm07 on Tue. Jan. 11, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sitdwnandhngon

Post by sitdwnandhngon » Tue. Jan. 11, 2022 8:36 pm

Thanks. I'm hoping by tomorrow evening or the following day it will be set up and burning.

I was just thinking of running both if I can because I don't want to risk fumes venting back up through the one that is off.

I do need to take off the hopper lid and tweak it a little bit, it appears to be a little sprung on the hinge right now.

LTStorm07

Post by LTStorm07 » Tue. Jan. 11, 2022 8:45 pm

sitdwnandhngon wrote:
Tue. Jan. 11, 2022 8:36 pm
Thanks. I'm hoping by tomorrow evening or the following day it will be set up and burning.

I was just thinking of running both if I can because I don't want to risk fumes venting back up through the one that is off.

I do need to take off the hopper lid and tweak it a little bit, it appears to be a little sprung on the hinge right now.
Good luck! I never had an issue with fumes backing up through the unlit one as long as I used it (almost 10 years). Just make sure your draft is where it should be and you'll be good. Make sure you have plenty of coal on hand when both burners are lit as it really can chew through it! If you any questions or issues just post away. Unfortunately, I had to get to know the the Alaska 140 like the back of my hand at my old house I went through 2 basement floods and I've stripped and rebuilt it each time.

sitdwnandhngon

Post by sitdwnandhngon » Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 9:11 am

Looks like I need to replace one combustion fan motor. It's working, but a little noisy.

Everything else appears to be working fine. Must be the blower fan doesn't have variable speed, it's either on or off with the vari-speed switch, which isn't a big deal for now.

LTStorm07

Post by LTStorm07 » Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 12:00 pm

sitdwnandhngon wrote:
Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 9:11 am
Looks like I need to replace one combustion fan motor. It's working, but a little noisy.
This should be the fan you need
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224232465392?hash=item34 ... Swk4tfrgCj
That link is posted by Steve from The Coal Shop up in NY, but you might be able to just give him a call to confirm.
Steve Krieger (The Coal Shop, Inc.)
(585) 367-3246
Springwater, NY 14560
http://www.thecoalshop.com

If you're near Bloomsburg PA you can pick one up directly from Alaska or have one shipped to you as well.
(570) 387-0260

Both are good options and probably priced similarly but depending on supply/demand places could be backordered. You may also have an Alaska dealer nearby.

sitdwnandhngon

Post by sitdwnandhngon » Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 2:59 pm

There's a dealer about 30 minutes away that usually has parts, I'll give him a call and see if he can get me two of each type of motor to have on hand.

I have it running right now with one grate. Seems to be making good heat. I did hook the thermostat up but I'm not sure I'll actually use it. Seems tricky to get dialed in. It's either kicking on too often, or not often enough.

I might just upgrade to a variable speed fan at some point and use that keep the heat steady, or dig into this fan and see if it can be variable speed.

I'll probably run it on single feed through the night to make sure there is no issues, then start the other feed tomorrow so I can be here all day with it.

What's the best way to get the second grate going without burning my face off?

sitdwnandhngon

Post by sitdwnandhngon » Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 3:23 pm

Well, figured the fan speed controller out, took it apart and one of the capacitors on the board exploded at one point, looks like I'll have to order one of those too.

LTStorm07

Post by LTStorm07 » Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 3:43 pm

That'll cause an issue for sure, and glad to hear it's working good so far!

To light the 2nd stoker, I always waited until I needed it and the first one was running full out. Also make sure there is some fresh coal on the grate of the second unit. It doesn't have to be completely covered, but you need something on the grate over some of the air holes for the next part. Since the first stoker would be full of hot lit coal on the grate, I would take a small fireplace shovel, they're not much larger than your hand, scoop up a good amount of hot coal with it and then put it on top the other stoker that has fresh coal on it. Then I'd turn the power on to that stoker. It also doesn't hurt to sprinkle a tiny amount of fresh coal on top as well, but typically you don't have to. It sounds odd, but man I'd done this way for a long time and it never failed me. I never burned myself doing it either as you really can do it quickly once you understand / do it once, and this includes lighting the stoker in the "back" after the front one is lit. Every year I would rotate as to which one was lit first so one stoker didn't wear out faster than the other, but that may not really make much of a difference.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”