Looking for Advice for Coal Insert

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Wed. Aug. 13, 2008 4:44 pm

I have a coal furnace in the basement,But would like a coal insert .40K or 50k ish.will use the furnace for most of the heat but we like it wamer in the LR and parlor.We'll light it when we get home at night and run it through the night.I'm thinking stoker,EZer to relight every night and glass door to see the fire.What's a good one and does anyone use their stoker like this(relight every night)
DON

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Wed. Aug. 13, 2008 6:00 pm

I just did some searching,does anyone even make a stoker insert?Hitser and Harman don't.
DON

ScottD

Post by ScottD » Wed. Aug. 13, 2008 6:16 pm

I don't think so. The one most used, from what I see, is the Hitzer. It has a gravity feed hopper so it's closer in relation to the stokers and doesn't need electricity. That's a nice feature. You will see a few people on this forum with Hitzer inserts.

Scott

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Aug. 13, 2008 6:43 pm

Hitzer hopper fed 503 uses electric for the blowers. You will not get much heat out of an insert without the fans.
A link to some pictures of the 503.
Hitzer 503 Arrives

Not an insert but this is close to what you want.
**Broken Link(s) Removed**

ScottD

Post by ScottD » Wed. Aug. 13, 2008 8:16 pm

CapeCoaler is correct about the electricity. I meant to word it, you don't need electricity to keep it running. If you lose power in the night, it will stay fired and when the power comes back on it will then blow hot air and resume heating. I have the Alaska Hearth and fits nicely in front of and partially in my fireplace. My stove you need electricity to keep it running. If I lose power for any extended time, I will have to relight it. My stove sits about 19" off the fireplace front. Might be worth a look for you if you want a stoker.

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Wed. Aug. 13, 2008 8:33 pm

I just looked at the Harman (pics) and that looks like a nice stove.Well let me rephrase that MY WIFE likes the looks of it.It's a little big BTU wise but I guess you can always throtle it down a bit.I like the stoker thing but it don't look like anyone makes one.I think you can throtle the stokers down to like 5 or 10K BTU's or am I wrong on this.
DON

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Wed. Aug. 13, 2008 8:42 pm

Hey CapeCoaler
Thoes pics you took make that stove look better than the pics on the sites I've looked at.What does that burn pea coal? the holes in the grate look small compared to my hotblast(USS)
DON

Razzler
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Razzler » Wed. Aug. 13, 2008 8:50 pm

Did you look at http://www.leisurelinestoves.com/ They have a hearth stoker stove that can set in front of the fire place.:notsure:

ScottD

Post by ScottD » Wed. Aug. 13, 2008 8:51 pm

My Alaska Hearth is rated from 5K BTU to 85K BTU.

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Wed. Aug. 13, 2008 9:20 pm

Yeah scott that's why I like the stoker thing.This is going to be more for looks than for heat.Like I said we have a coal furnace in the cellar and an oil furnace and a wood stove and the house is only about 1600 sq. ft. If it was up to me I'd leave the fireplace the way it is but I gotta keep the little lady happy too. :inlove:
DON

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Wed. Aug. 13, 2008 9:47 pm

I just sold a very nice Keystoker 90 hearth model with Coal-Trol to jackcoyle. That unit looks very nice on a hearth and is easy to run with the the improved control. You can even add the automatic ignition and start and stop the thing at your whim. :)

ScottD

Post by ScottD » Wed. Aug. 13, 2008 10:31 pm

Big Beam,
You sayin my stoves ugly? :mad:
Just kidding. :) Everyones needs are different. For me it was about space and heat. It is in my main living room.

Attachments

Misc 08 pics 162.jpg
.JPG | 1.4MB | Misc 08 pics 162.jpg

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Aug. 13, 2008 11:52 pm

Hey CapeCoaler
Thoes pics you took make that stove look better than the pics on the sites I've looked at.What does that burn pea coal? the holes in the grate look small compared to my hotblast(USS)
DON
The 503 will burn Pea, Nut and Stove sized coal. No barometric damper possible/feasible when installed in a former fireplace so I think the grate is designed to limit airflow along with the built-in damper. Wanted to get some shots of the stove because I too found the lack of good pictures frustrating. Going to install a insulated liner because the existing 12 by 12 flue is too large for the 503, at least I know the draft will be good for spring and fall burning. You can throttle the 503 down also about 20% of full rating if you have good draft.

bustedwing
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: LL Pioneer
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Hot air oil

Post by bustedwing » Thu. Aug. 14, 2008 3:20 am

I looked at the Harman insert but rejected the idea because it "HAS" to have electricity to the blowers to keep the unit from overheating and warping the grates and voiding the warranty.At least that's what the small print in their literature or downloadable manual states.In my mind the only reason to get a hand fired anything is to be free of the electrical cord.Got a LL Pioneer stoker,if the power goes off long enough the fire goes out and all is well,the oil burner will keep the pipes from freezing till I get home. 2 cents worth .RichB

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Thu. Aug. 14, 2008 6:40 am

bustedwing wrote:I looked at the Harman insert but rejected the idea because it "HAS" to have electricity to the blowers to keep the unit from overheating and warping the grates and voiding the warranty.
Is that from Harman's owner's manual/brochure? If so, I'd be surprised because you can keep a coal fire very low by just not over-firing it & I just use my blower to move more warm air around on cold days. Please post the wording from Harman that says that.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”