Alaska stoker stove

joek18
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert and a EFM
Coal Size/Type: Buck & Rice

Post by joek18 » Tue. Dec. 21, 2021 9:59 am

Thinking about buying a Alaska stoker stove thats for sale on internet. Not sure of a 2 or 3. It looks in great condition but what do I look for? Whats the differance between a 2 or 3?

godsgirl81
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark 3
Coal Size/Type: Nut and sometimes Pea

Post by godsgirl81 » Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 8:47 pm

I had an Alaska rice coal burner I got new but it wouldn't heat our place very well (2500 sq ft) in fact i dont think it would have heated a 2000 sq ft house very well either. I get those stoves are easy to use with the hoppers in back but after getting a harman mark 3 hand fired stove id never go back to using rice coal. The stove puts out double the amount of heat using the same amount (sometimes less) of coal per day, it only needs to be serviced once or twice a day, i usually shake it down and add coal in the morning and than again in the evening so its about the same amount of work as a rice coal burner but we had way better results to say the least

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 9:11 pm

I've run a 2 and a few 3's. 2's have 70k btu carpet stoker; 3's have 85k btu paddle stoker. 2 seemed easier to get to run efficiently at different output levels; 3's had a good sweet spot but less flexibility. Maybe 2 had combustion blower controlled separately?

Agree with gg81 that neither will do big area alone.

Mike

Crazyfarmer
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Eagle foundry company BELLEVille Illinois 42L 16

Post by Crazyfarmer » Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 12:07 pm

godsgirl81 wrote:
Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 8:47 pm
I had an Alaska rice coal burner I got new but it wouldn't heat our place very well (2500 sq ft) in fact i dont think it would have heated a 2000 sq ft house very well either. I get those stoves are easy to use with the hoppers in back but after getting a harman mark 3 hand fired stove id never go back to using rice coal. The stove puts out double the amount of heat using the same amount (sometimes less) of coal per day, it only needs to be serviced once or twice a day, i usually shake it down and add coal in the morning and than again in the evening so its about the same amount of work as a rice coal burner but we had way better results to say the least

Crazyfarmer
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Eagle foundry company BELLEVille Illinois 42L 16

Post by Crazyfarmer » Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 12:08 pm

Yeah for the amount of work and amount of Coal burning with a Stoker I think I’m gonna go to a hand fire. the stokers definitely don’t keep up with what I thought they look big and bad for don’t produce the heat for the area listed

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Fri. Jan. 14, 2022 9:02 pm

I would tend to disagree that an Alaska stoker is too small to heat your area efficiently.

My Alaska 140 duel feed has kept my 4,000 Sq ft house at a comfortable 73* for the last 6 years or so. In addition I heat my 12' x 15' aquaponics greenhouse all winter at between 50*f and 80*f depending what I'm growing at the time.

Paulie

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Fri. Jan. 14, 2022 9:06 pm

Pauliewog wrote:
Fri. Jan. 14, 2022 9:02 pm
I would tend to disagree that an Alaska stoker is too small to heat your area efficiently.

My Alaska 140 duel feed has kept my 4,000 Sq ft house at a comfortable 73* for the last 6 years or so. In addition I heat my 12' x 15' aquaponics greenhouse all winter at between 50*f and 80*f depending what I'm growing at the time.

Like any stove or stoker, you have to size it for your heating load.

My dual feed Alaska has two 85k btu burners. Most of the year it running on just one burner, but when the OAT drops into the single digits like today, I fire up the second one.

Paulie

LTStorm07
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1980 EFM DF520
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Heat pump / Propane

Post by LTStorm07 » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 10:02 am

Pauliewog wrote:
Fri. Jan. 14, 2022 9:06 pm
I'd agree with Paulie on this one. I think it's a matter of sizing the stove and heat distribution. My old home (not well insulated) had a dual feed 140 as well and most of the time 1 x 85k btu burner would do it. There were some times when the temps would dip single digits and below that would need the 2nd burner lit, but 170k BTU combined output will take care of most residential homes.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”