Harman Super Mag Stoker - Push block not pushing

andrewscski65
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Harman Stoker Super Magnum
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by andrewscski65 » Mon. Dec. 20, 2021 6:44 pm

I have a Harman Super Mag Stoker for about 6 years now. I fill the fire chamber with coal, fill the hopper, get the fire started and move the dial to TEST. In this position the push block, the room distribution fan and the combustion blower cycle a few times; once I have a good fire, I turn the dial to my desired number. The room dist. fan stays off until the stove reaches the temperature and then cycles on and off as needed.

That's what supposed to happen. Now, the push block only moves once in TEST; not at all in it's regular operating mode. The room dist. fan stays on blowing cold air - not supposed to happen. It's as if the stove thinks its at the desire temp.

I have status lights on the control panel; no errors showing. All wires and plugs are secure, the fuse is good. I heard it could be the room temp probe or the ESP (Exhaust Sensing Probe) or the Circuit board itself. Any ideas or suggestions would be awesome. I have electric and propane as back up, but would really like to get this going especially since I have 4 tons of (dry) coal and this morning it was 14 outside.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Dec. 20, 2021 9:06 pm

andrewscski65 wrote:
Mon. Dec. 20, 2021 6:44 pm
I have a Harman Super Mag Stoker for about 6 years now. I fill the fire chamber with coal, fill the hopper, get the fire started and move the dial to TEST. In this position the push block, the room distribution fan and the combustion blower cycle a few times; once I have a good fire, I turn the dial to my desired number. The room dist. fan stays off until the stove reaches the temperature and then cycles on and off as needed.

That's what supposed to happen. Now, the push block only moves once in TEST; not at all in it's regular operating mode. The room dist. fan stays on blowing cold air - not supposed to happen. It's as if the stove thinks its at the desire temp.

I have status lights on the control panel; no errors showing. All wires and plugs are secure, the fuse is good. I heard it could be the room temp probe or the ESP (Exhaust Sensing Probe) or the Circuit board itself. Any ideas or suggestions would be awesome. I have electric and propane as back up, but would really like to get this going especially since I have 4 tons of (dry) coal and this morning it was 14 outside.
For starters you have a couple plugs swapped...check with a extension cord to see what is what,

Hint: convection fan is off until stove gets good and hot. :)

andrewscski65

Post by andrewscski65 » Wed. Dec. 22, 2021 1:02 pm

I checked the plugs, green to green, white to white, black to black; right?

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Wed. Dec. 22, 2021 9:43 pm

Jumper needed on TT or maybe wired thermostat there.

andrewscski65

Post by andrewscski65 » Thu. Dec. 30, 2021 9:10 am

@McGiever thanks for the help so far. What do you mean 'jumper needed on TT'?
as a side note, I purchased a new ESP sensor and a new room sensor; I'm going to swap them out this weekend. If neither works, next will be the circuit board at which point it'll be practically new.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Dec. 30, 2021 11:20 am

Thermostat

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Thu. Dec. 30, 2021 11:58 am

On the “Super” Magnum it must be the “room sensor” takes the place of the thermostat…then “perhaps” there would be no TT or jumper, sorry if I only added confusion.

Earlier Magnums (not Super) had a simple thermostat (switch) to set room temperature or one could add a jumper instead…sort of like your “test” and then the board rheostats dialed in a nice steady burn but required near daily manual adjustment of rheostats.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Fri. Dec. 31, 2021 6:42 pm

Been running my Super Mag now for many years. From Oct 1st to April on average. I now screen the coal with 1=3/4 x 3/4 wire as the chunks get down and plug the feeding ram area. Not sure what your problem is but what I do to start is unplug so it resets. Turn the control knob to off. Then put a small bag of crushed ice on top of the room probe in my living area 35 ft away and upstairs. This kicks in the stove controls good. I fill the back of the grates up well and spill over onto the grates some. I start a fire with cowboy charcoal on the holed part and llight the cowboy withtorch. put some rice around and on top and turn the stove on. Feed rate about 2 1/2. Blower speed about 1/3 (it's auto and will go higher when demand is there) off it goes and after going good I take the ice off.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Tue. Jan. 18, 2022 7:52 am

love the way no one gives an update to their problem

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”