What is the biggest Stoker out there this Leisure Line Pocono isn’t cutting it?

Crazyfarmer
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Eagle foundry company BELLEVille Illinois 42L 16

Post by Crazyfarmer » Fri. Dec. 10, 2021 10:45 pm

I’m looking to see if I’m going to stay with a Stoker or go over to a hand fired this Leisure Line Pocono isn’t heating Like I thought it would and it’s not even cold yet. The reason I got it I thought it would offset the oil pricing but that has yet to be seen for the 2000 ft.² I’m trying to heat the blowers are running all the time I’m at six minimum I’ve been up past 67 maximum yesterday and it was 28° outside at night constantly running 99% I keep increasing . Again with how much cold it’s burning and electricity. I’m wondering if I’m better off staying with the oil. Fully insulated basement I had to 75 but the heat doesn’t come upstairs so it’s still in the 60s at best. That’s with my furnace running more than I anticipated I can maintain that just with the furnace

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Dec. 10, 2021 11:13 pm

Get a stoker boiler like a efm 350 or 520.
I am heating the shop now (960 sq foot) and the domestic water and have so far 2 zones in the house and we are burning the same amount of coal as just heating the house (1800sq ft) with the reading hot air stoker.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Dec. 10, 2021 11:55 pm

Crazyfarmer wrote:
Fri. Dec. 10, 2021 10:45 pm
The reason I got it I thought it would offset the oil pricing but that has yet to be seen for the 2000 ft.²
That's excluding the 75 degree basement? That unit should be able to manage most of the heat load for 2000 sq. ft. but you need to put the heat into the space you want to heat.

LL has a hot air jacket for that so you can direct most of the heat into a duct.

https://leisurelinestove.com/product/pocono-top-v ... ir-jacket/

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Dec. 11, 2021 6:29 am

Crazyfarmer wrote:
I’m looking to see if I’m going to stay with a Stoker or go over to a hand fired this Leisure Line Pocono isn’t heating Like I thought it would and it’s not even cold yet. The reason I got it I thought it would offset the oil pricing but that has yet to be seen for the 2000 ft.² I’m trying to heat the blowers are running all the time I’m at six minimum I’ve been up past 67 maximum yesterday and it was 28° outside at night constantly running 99% I keep increasing . Again with how much cold it’s burning and electricity. I’m wondering if I’m better off staying with the oil. Fully insulated basement I had to 75 but the heat doesn’t come upstairs so it’s still in the 60s at best. That’s with my furnace running more than I anticipated I can maintain that just with the furnace
If you just have the stove blowing hot air into the basement with no ductwork to get the heat into the house, you won't be happy with the results. A hand fired stove will not be any better. You need something that can hook into your ductwork and put the heat where you want it.

i.e. a stoker furnace or boiler.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sat. Dec. 11, 2021 6:30 am

The heat will not magically transfer upstairs, there are multiple discussions on this forum about getting the air to move and putting heat where you need or want it.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Sat. Dec. 11, 2021 9:33 am

If you have a suitable flue available one possibility might be to put the Pocono upstairs and use the furnace blower and duct system to distribute the heat.

Mike

Dave 1234
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1948 International boiler, EFM S-20 stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buck,

Post by Dave 1234 » Sat. Dec. 11, 2021 9:52 am

Burning the fuel is a start , putting the energy released to work, is the secret. The best thing I have done for cheep heat is coal. .......The best thing I have done for comfort, was install cast iron radiators to gently heat the home.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Dec. 11, 2021 9:53 am

Crazyfarmer wrote:
I’m looking to see if I’m going to stay with a Stoker or go over to a hand fired this Leisure Line Pocono isn’t heating Like I thought it would and it’s not even cold yet.
Your problem is not the stoker. Your biggest problem is you are trying to heat your whole house with a stove, not a central heating furnace or boiler. As suggested above, if you can tie the stove into ductwork that goes to all of the rooms, it will work much better.

To answer your original question, your stoker is about as tiny as they get. To put things in perspective, here's a big one, but not the biggest.

-Don

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Dec. 11, 2021 10:18 am

Stoves are not furnaces....be hard to heat entire house/upstairs without more work or larger unit. heat jacket to harness more of the heat and direct it where needed. maybe larger unit. Liesure line offers some larger units with larger blowers.
I tried with a Keystoker 90 with just an 8" duct upstairs, wasn't even close to keep it warm upstairs and ran full blast. I have a LL Hyfire I with heat jacket and it does OK, but could be bigger (hyfire II). it works for me for now. I still have Keystoker in back of house. run Both all winter.

Crazyfarmer

Post by Crazyfarmer » Sat. Dec. 11, 2021 4:22 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Sat. Dec. 11, 2021 9:53 am
Your problem is not the stoker. Your biggest problem is you are trying to heat your whole house with a stove, not a central heating furnace or boiler. As suggested above, if you can tie the stove into ductwork that goes to all of the rooms, it will work much better.

To answer your original question, your stoker is about as tiny as they get. To put things in perspective, here's a big one, but not the biggest.

-Don
Don now that is impressive!

Crazyfarmer

Post by Crazyfarmer » Sat. Dec. 11, 2021 4:25 pm

OK I have a vent in the floor 8 feet away from the stove when I used to burn wood with the small Ashley stove I used to suck the air up and it used to keep the upstairs pretty warm but wood is a pain. It used to get so warm used to circulate up the staircase this time around with a Stoker I flip the fan over to push the cold air down hoping it would take the place of the warm and push it up the steps hasn’t worked out the way I thought and another thing is I don’t have duck work I’m running a boiler I was hoping to keep it on 60 or 62 and the Coal Stove would help but that’s not the case just more money and more work.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Dec. 11, 2021 4:51 pm

Your coal stove is a space heater, and it is heating the space it is in, unfortunately that space is the basement.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Dec. 11, 2021 9:00 pm

Crazyfarmer wrote:
Sat. Dec. 11, 2021 4:25 pm
I have a vent in the floor 8 feet away from the stove
Can you set a fan on top of this vent to pull warm air up from the basement? Or isn't that working out..

Crazyfarmer

Post by Crazyfarmer » Sat. Dec. 11, 2021 9:32 pm

I tried this in both directions as a draw and as a return to put more cold air to the stove nada.

Attachments

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Dec. 11, 2021 9:36 pm

Crazyfarmer wrote:
Sat. Dec. 11, 2021 9:32 pm
I tried this in both directions as a draw and as a return to put more cold air to the stove nada.
Hmmm... I'm gonna guess that it just can't move enough volume.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”