What is the biggest Stoker out there this Leisure Line Pocono isn’t cutting it?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Dec. 13, 2021 2:48 pm

I have a raised ranch with double wide staircase. With one stove running on the lower level there is a regular gale of air going down the staircase.

With a small stove upstairs that stops. Clearly your problem is distribution.

Crazyfarmer
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Eagle foundry company BELLEVille Illinois 42L 16

Post by Crazyfarmer » Tue. Dec. 14, 2021 1:09 am

Richard S. wrote:
Mon. Dec. 13, 2021 2:01 pm
The amount of heat it is making is what it is. A fan that can move more air heats a larger volume of air to less temperature, it's still the same amount of BTU's going into the air. If you want an example of this you have probably seem commercials for infrared heaters.
The stair case is the farthest away from the stove . That’s why I installed this vent to create that circulation whether the air comes up the vent or up the steps doesn’t matter to me. The fan in the floor or no fan shut the heat be coming out of that vent closer to the stove if the cold air is going down the staircase? Or vice versa? I guess I’m gonna have to get the top punched and put a blocker plate in front of the fans and run piping up to the vent that’s all I could come up with what everybody’s telling me

Crazyfarmer

Post by Crazyfarmer » Tue. Dec. 14, 2021 1:11 am

franco b wrote:
Mon. Dec. 13, 2021 2:48 pm
I have a raised ranch with double wide staircase. With one stove running on the lower level there is a regular gale of air going down the staircase.

With a small stove upstairs that stops. Clearly your problem is distribution.
noted. Just trying to find a way to make it work. I have turned off the heat totally upstairs so that should make the cold air go down the staircase and push the Air up the vent? Or Vice versa

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. Dec. 14, 2021 7:41 am

Crazyfarmer wrote:
Tue. Dec. 14, 2021 1:11 am
noted. Just trying to find a way to make it work. I have turned off the heat totally upstairs so that should make the cold air go down the staircase and push the Air up the vent? Or Vice versa
It probably is working, just not very well. A typical hot air furnace has much larger air handling vents and a powerful blower as well.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Dec. 14, 2021 9:43 am

Crazyfarmer wrote:
Tue. Dec. 14, 2021 1:09 am
The fan in the floor or no fan shut the heat be coming out of that vent closer to the stove if the cold air is going down the staircase? Or vice versa?
I'm not an HVAC expert but to the best of my knowledge the answer to your question is....maybe. :D Is the cold air coming down the stairs? Assuming you basement was 80 degrees with the wood have you made any structural changes to the house recently? Windows, dryer vent etc? If the heat from the wood was circulating before structural changes to the house that can impact how air circulates could be explanation for the problem you are experiencing.

What I do know is on most of the old setups I have seen the cold air return is ducted right to near the base of the unit.
Crazyfarmer wrote:
Tue. Dec. 14, 2021 1:09 am
I guess I’m gonna have to get the top punched and put a blocker plate in front of the fans and run piping up to the vent that’s all I could come up with what everybody’s telling me

As I pointed out previously LL has a jacket for the Pocono purpose built for the unit. Of course if you have some sheet metal experience and a break you could probably make one yourself.

https://leisurelinestove.com/product/pocono-top-v ... ir-jacket/

Crazyfarmer

Post by Crazyfarmer » Tue. Dec. 14, 2021 10:13 am

Richard S. wrote:
Tue. Dec. 14, 2021 9:43 am
I'm not an HVAC expert but to the best of my knowledge the answer to your question is....maybe. :D Is the cold air coming down the stairs? Assuming you basement was 80 degrees with the wood have you made any structural changes to the house recently? Windows, dryer vent etc? If the heat from the wood was circulating before structural changes to the house that can impact how air circulates could be explanation for the problem you are experiencing.

What I do know is on most of the old setups I have seen the cold air return is ducted right to near the base of the unit.

As I pointed out previously LL has a jacket for the Pocono purpose built for the unit. Of course if you have some sheet metal experience and a break you could probably make one yourself.

https://leisurelinestove.com/product/pocono-top-v ... ir-jacket/

Nothing has changed with the house other than added insulation and and window air leaks cold air leaking into. that’s a good point. On piping the cold air to the floor.thanks ! As for the sheet-metal I’m out real keen on drilling holes in the stove and I don’t like how that set up looks like in a finished basement.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Wed. Dec. 15, 2021 6:14 am

I didn't read all the above posts but my 2 cents. I bought my Harmon Super Mag cause you can block off the front vents and send the hot air via insulated duck work to registers in floors. My Mag is in the basement and even thou blocked off keeps it mid 60's or more and living areas 72 deg. 24/7. I use the thermo probe room temp setup. Probe is in the living area.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”