Alaska 140 Into Existing Warm Air Furnace

bchapman
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Feed

Post by bchapman » Tue. Aug. 12, 2008 8:11 pm

I apologize if this has already been covered extensively but I have been unable to find the answer. I just ordered an Alaska 140 and will be connecting to an existing oil fired warm air furnace. What is the best/recommended way to connect the duct work for this setup?

-Bruce

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Wed. Aug. 13, 2008 7:34 am

Depends on where you can hook it to your existing furnance duct. Some hook it directly into the hot air plenum going upstairs, some hook it into the cold air return and use the furnance blower to PULL the hot air from the coal stove....with a relay that kicks on the furnance blower when the coal blowers kick on, etc...

LL has a diagram on their site for hooking up to existing plenums
http://www.leisurelinestoves.com/1904137.html

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Aug. 13, 2008 12:22 pm

If your Alaska 140 has a cold air return box with a filter, you really should hook the current cold air return into the coal furnace's cold air return.. you don't want the furnace to be pulling cold air off the basement floor, it is terribly inefficient.. let the furnace work the way it should,, that is reheating and filtering the air from the heated rooms above.

The best way is to hook into the cold and hot air ducts. run the coal furnace parallel to the existing furnace.. install one-way air duct dampers to keep the hot air from recirculating between the two furnaces..

Greg L

bchapman
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Feed

Post by bchapman » Thu. Aug. 14, 2008 8:43 pm

Thanks for the help. I have about 6 weeks until I pick up my furnace. I'm getting the cold air box so I'm going with Greg's suggestion. Can anyone tell me what size plenums (warm and cold) this unit takes? Thanks again.

-Bruce

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”